Oak lumber

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

fdesorme
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Oak lumber

Post by fdesorme » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:33 am

I want to try oak as a smoking wood. I have some oak planks left over from making cabinets, can I cut these up into blocks and use them as I would use chunks? They are basically planed lumber that has never been joined or finished.

Thanks

roastntoast
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Oak lumber

Post by roastntoast » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:48 am

As long as they have no Stain , varnish or paint . Go for it. Cheep lumber.

Jules

fdesorme
Beer Wench

Post by fdesorme » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 am

Thanks for the reply. That really opens up a lot of possibilities for me as wood chunks are very hard to find out here. My favorite wood so far is apple, unfortunately smokilicious doesn't seem to carry it.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 am

Good morning. You might want to check out my two posts at Front Porch. One was titled Felt Badly and the other is Wood Supplier Niagara Region. I posted a list of farms and orchards that have various fruit trees. You might want to contact a couple of them to see if they are interested in selling you some of their trimmings or removels. Hope this helps you some. Have a great week. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

rgibson3468
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgibson3468 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:40 pm

My cousin does woodworking through work using cherry wood sometimes and he keeps the scraps for me to use...great for the pieces are not too large so it gives the smokey but not too smokey flavour when using.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

fdesorme wrote:Thanks for the reply. That really opens up a lot of possibilities for me as wood chunks are very hard to find out here. My favorite wood so far is apple, unfortunately smokilicious doesn't seem to carry it.
Smokinlicious does not offer any orchard wood, but rather just 'wild' wood - maintaining a more 'organic' or 'green' approach. Orchard wood has, at some point in it's life, been sprayed or treated to control pests/mold/mildew, or to encourage growth and fruiting, etc. Smokinlicious offers several products flavoured (with a food grade flavourant) which you may wish to consider, as an alternative to the ingestion of these additives from orchard wood. Let me know if I can answer any questions about Smokinlicious product! - I'm happy to help.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 pm

What is being said here is very true about orchards spraying stuff that may get into the wood. My thought on that is this. Whatever is being sprayed on trees also gets into all of the fruit. It is into the meat of the fruit, so washing might take the dust off but the sprays are in the fruit itself. I don't see what the difference would be here as ingestion is ingestion. We either eat fruit with chemicals in them or meat with chemicals in them. As for using cut offs of shop lumber, I hope that people realize that some of that wood is sprayed with a chemical sometimes to slow the drying process before being put into a kiln. If it does not dry at the right speed it will check and crack. I think if we knew half of what we were really eating and drinking, we would weigh 165 lbs. :wink: Interesting topic to say the least. 8) Hippie

Adrienne wrote:
fdesorme wrote:Thanks for the reply. That really opens up a lot of possibilities for me as wood chunks are very hard to find out here. My favorite wood so far is apple, unfortunately smokilicious doesn't seem to carry it.
Smokinlicious does not offer any orchard wood, but rather just 'wild' wood - maintaining a more 'organic' or 'green' approach. Orchard wood has, at some point in it's life, been sprayed or treated to control pests/mold/mildew, or to encourage growth and fruiting, etc. Smokinlicious offers several products flavoured (with a food grade flavourant) which you may wish to consider, as an alternative to the ingestion of these additives from orchard wood. Let me know if I can answer any questions about Smokinlicious product! - I'm happy to help.
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Hippieforever99 wrote:What is being said here is very true about orchards spraying stuff that may get into the wood. My thought on that is this. Whatever is being sprayed on trees also gets into all of the fruit. It is into the meat of the fruit, so washing might take the dust off but the sprays are in the fruit itself. I don't see what the difference would be here as ingestion is ingestion. We either eat fruit with chemicals in them or meat with chemicals in them. As for using cut offs of shop lumber, I hope that people realize that some of that wood is sprayed with a chemical sometimes to slow the drying process before being put into a kiln. If it does not dry at the right speed it will check and crack. I think if we knew half of what we were really eating and drinking, we would weigh 165 lbs. :wink: Interesting topic to say the least. 8) Hippie

Adrienne wrote:
Good points, Dave.
I am trying to maintain a more natural lifestyle with the choices that I make: natural/organic/free range - choose your handle . . .
This however is only one of the many reasons I choose to use Smokinlicous Gourmet Wood Products to flavour my smoked food
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Adrienne wrote:
[/quote]

Good points, Dave.
I am trying to maintain a more natural lifestyle with the choices that I make: natural/organic/free range - choose your handle . . .
This however is only one of the many reasons I choose to use Smokinlicous Gourmet Wood Products to flavour my smoked food[/quote]

I agree with trying to reduce our intake of the array of chemicals in food and food related products. A few years back, I was using apple from culled orchards in the Collingwood area (McNichol Firewood) and was concerned with sprays and residues. After contacting the CFIA, I was put in touch with a researcher who was kind enough to provide a detailed rundown of the various treatments, dormant oils and so on, commonly used in commercial orchards. I wish I had kept the report I was given on the chemicals in common use. The bottom line was that there is nothing in use commercially that has a half life of more than a few weeks. After a tree goes out of production, is cut down and processed into firewood, most, if not all of the treatment has broken down and dissipated and what is left in the bark has fallen off with the bark. I was told that my concern was a valid one but that I had nothing to be concerned about. McNichol supplies firewood to Toronto area restaurants with wood fired pizza and bread ovens and Phils Original, too.
I think I would be more concerned personally with a food grade additive that the possibility of residuals from orchard sprays. like you, Adrienne, additives are what I am trying to avoid.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Peter wrote:
Adrienne wrote:
Good points, Dave.
This however is only one of the many reasons I choose to use Smokinlicous Gourmet Wood Products to flavour my smoked food[/quote]

I agree with trying to reduce our intake of the array of chemicals in food and food related products. A few years back, I was using apple from culled orchards in the Collingwood area (McNichol Firewood) and was concerned with sprays and residues. After contacting the CFIA, I was put in touch with a researcher who was kind enough to provide a detailed rundown of the various treatments, dormant oils and so on, commonly used in commercial orchards. I wish I had kept the report I was given on the chemicals in common use. The bottom line was that there is nothing in use commercially that has a half life of more than a few weeks. After a tree goes out of production, is cut down and processed into firewood, most, if not all of the treatment has broken down and dissipated and what is left in the bark has fallen off with the bark. I was told that my concern was a valid one but that I had nothing to be concerned about. McNichol supplies firewood to Toronto area restaurants with wood fired pizza and bread ovens and Phils Original, too.
I think I would be more concerned personally with a food grade additive that the possibility of residuals from orchard sprays. like you, Adrienne, additives are what I am trying to avoid.[/quote]

Good points, Peter. And as with all other things, to each his or her own. I know of the study to which you refer, or one of similara nature, as I have reviewd it. Just doesn't sit right with me, so I have chosen another route which suits me better. But, as I say, to each their own. On the same note, I would never burn amy wood, unmless it was barkless, to flavour my food.

Cramden
Gofor

Post by Cramden » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm glad you all raise these concerns.
Hard to believe, but of all my close buddies, 4 in total, my wife and a few females friends close to me all have had bouts with cancer. We're all under the age of 56.
We can't be too careful about the food and all the other stuff we injest.

I wish you all good health and happiness!
Cramden
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch!"

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 pm

So I quess what yer saying Slim, aka Adrienne, the bark can be worse than the bite. I'm on holidays, by the way. Bryan

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:38 am

OMG - you're on holiday and I'm just finding out now! Kinda makes me think that a road trip is in order . . . :D