please help me choose a grill

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

please help me choose a grill

Post by kwantz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 am

Here are my choices. So far I just have my Weber One touch charcoal grill. But the old lady wants to learn how to grill as well. and im leaning on getting a gas grill. Here are my choice help me decide.

Napoleon Pretige 450
http://www.bbqs.com/prestige-rear-burne ... p-318.html

or the Weber CEP -320
http://www.bbqs.com/premium-weber-genes ... p-473.html

Both are roughly the same price.

Or I am really likeing the ceramic grill, either Primo or BGE I really like the oval but at the same time I like the accessories the BGE comes with.

Help me choose please. they are all pretty much at the same price point. They all come with excellent warrentys and serivce (so i hear). Tell me why you would go with the certain grill over the other, without trying to be biased on a certain brand. This will most liekly be my last grill for a very very long time. so I really need the help from you guys to choose.

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: please help me choose a grill

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:43 pm

I've got the Weber (Genesis) and I absolutely love it. I hear Napolean is also an excellent grill. I'd say you likely can't go wrong with either.
Different burner setups might affect your decision.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:31 pm

For cooking in Canadian winters, the ceramics would have my vote, hands down. A gas grill of any make will not even light when the temps get down.
Versatility as well gets my vote for the ceramic. High temp grill, pizza, bread, low and slow and everything in between is easy for a ceramic.
Only problem is that its not gas and you gotta mess with lighting the charcoal. Oh well, thats the price you pay for good eats.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 pm

When you say ceramics are you talking about the kamado's?
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by kwantz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 pm

How does the http://www.bbqs.com/sovereign-xls-20-p-497.html

Broil king XLS compete with Weber or Napoleon as far as quality goes? They offer life time on castings, 5 on burners and 2 on other parts. Its a bit cheaper and bigger. But how are the heat distrubution and all the other parts comapair ?

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by kwantz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm

I know the broil king doesnt look as pretty as the stainless webers and napoleons, but im looking for quality. Wouldnt the thick aluminum walls of the broil king be able to retain heat better?

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 pm

kwantz wrote:I know the broil king doesnt look as pretty as the stainless webers and napoleons, but im looking for quality. Wouldnt the thick aluminum walls of the broil king be able to retain heat better?

Maybe not, aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than is steel, which is why it is popular for pans, and can't be used with induction burners (which rely on resistance in the pan to create heat).

peppermonster
Firestarter

Post by peppermonster » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

What are you willing to do for your food. If you want easy convenience, than go for the gas. If your are willing to do a little extra for great food results, I would suggest charcoal.

IMO there is nothing wrong with either choice, it all boils down to time.

roastntoast
Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 am

I got me a Primo Xl a few weeks ago and it's awsome. I can grill or smoke on it ,what ever I want. Sunday I loaded it with Basque charcoal and put on 2 10 lbs Butts on it and it went all day without even moving on the temp gauge. It gets my vote.

Jules

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 pm

kwantz wrote:I know the broil king doesnt look as pretty as the stainless webers and napoleons, but im looking for quality.
You think Weber and Napoleon are poor quality? Lesser than broil king?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

canadaodyowner
Gofor

Post by canadaodyowner » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:26 pm

For cooking in Canadian winters, the ceramics would have my vote, hands down. A gas grill of any make will not even light when the temps get down.
Want proof?
They all come with excellent warrentys and serivce (so i hear)....This will most liekly be my last grill for a very very long time
How does lifetime warranty on the ceramics sound?

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:37 am

For the prices being mentioned you could think about a Traeger. One of their nicer ones with the temp. control.