Old Style Propane BBQ

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Charcoal
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Old Style Propane BBQ

Post by Charcoal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:59 pm

My old propane BBQ is on its last legs. I would like to get a new one with lava rock or ceramic tiles. All I can find is the ones with the metal deflectors. Do they still make them the old way or will I have to get one with the deflectors?

5aces
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Old Style Propane BBQ

Post by 5aces » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 am

You'll get next to no flare ups with the flavorizer bars and it heats evenly across the entire grill, no more moving meat around on the grill.

Lava rocks tend to create flare ups = burnt food.

The FB let grease flare off or drip into the tray below. Lava rocks don't. At some point you can get a real nice burn off with them.

Some people might enjoy using flare-ups as a way to sear food but I would opt for more control.

peppermonster
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Old Style Propane BBQ

Post by peppermonster » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:41 am

Charcoal wrote:My old propane BBQ is on its last legs. I would like to get a new one with lava rock or ceramic tiles. All I can find is the ones with the metal deflectors. Do they still make them the old way or will I have to get one with the deflectors?
Why do you want to stay with the old! Embrace the tecnology! Why not go with a charcoal grill.