Is this a decent grill?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Decent grill?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 9

MRJ
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Is this a decent grill?

Post by MRJ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 am

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could help me decide of this grill is decent or not?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/S ... %2BBBQ.jsp

I know its not going to be Weber quality but im looking for something affordable and decent quality. The crappy one i have now is just a cheap $99 grill that burns food on the lowest temperature. I would also like to be able to smoke with some wood chips but im not sure if this one would allow or not.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

ROXY
Pit Master
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Is this a decent grill?

Post by ROXY » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:45 am

Looks to me like a three burner grill.. Even if its a two burner you can still do the wood chip thing for some quick and easy BBQ..

Good luck and let us all know what you ended up getting.
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 am

Probably a decent grill,, but I'd hold off for sales ,,,,,,,,,
Lowes might be better price.

Most important thing is the double lined hood,,,and the contruction of the grill surface,, and ofcourse the life of the burners..........

I went to Home Depot last fall ,and offered to buy a floor model with a broken basket,,,(ice bucket on the side tray),, and they wouldn't even consider it... so I have basically had it with them... now that there's Lowes close to where I live,,, I go there.

Same with Crappy Tire,, I only go there when I have to... they've been hooping us for years.

MikeDoc.

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 am

I voted no.

Do yourself a favour and check out the cheaper Broil King's (also Broil Mate or Sterling). You can get one for around $300 (http://www.rona.ca/shop/~barbecue-44000 ... sonal_shop), and it will last longer and perform better than that Centro. Part are always available as well.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

MRJ
Dishwasher

Post by MRJ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for all the advice, where i live i unfortunately cannot find any broil kings/broil mates. I also forgot to mention this BBQ will be on sale for $349.

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:25 pm

I voted yes because, relative to what you're looking for, it's a decent grill. I'd say that a sale price of $349 is okay and the quality will likely get you a few good years service, especially if you have a cover for it (even a crappy one), depending on how often you grill. Like Roxy said, you can smoke with it, too, and you may even get quite good with it.
The truth is that if this grill gets you out there grillin', instead of wishing about it, then it's a decent grill.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Armygriller
Gofor

Post by Armygriller » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 pm

I voted yes also. I had a Centro that lasted 6 well used yrs before the burner went on it. The Q itself was in great shape I wanted something bigger so I never bothered to replace it. If it's going on sale soon even better.

Cheers
Scott

MRJ
Dishwasher

Post by MRJ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Great, ill most likely be picking it up tomorrow if they have it in stock. Im a bit confused about the cooking grates as it says porcelain coated cast iron but i checked it out yesterday and they looked to be just cast iron. Oh well. Thanks again for the advice!