First Brisket

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

First Brisket

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:53 am

On Wednesday I finally screwed up my courage and tried a brisket for the first time. Thanks, Adrienne, for helping me get this cut.
I had it stored in the deep freeze and it took a couple days to thaw. Once fully thawed it got a bath of worcestershire and a good healthy coating of rub. The rub contained onion powder, kosher salt, granulated garlic, Spanish paprika, brown sugar, black & green ground peppercorns, ground cumin and chili powder. I won't bother giving proportions unless someone wants them. It was a good rub, imo.
Here's the brisket going onto the smoker @ just over 300*

This is the brisket just over 2 hours into the cook and already nearing 165 internal. I was just about to foil the meat at this point. Temp pretty steady @ just over 300*

When it hit ~165 I put it into a foil pan and added a premix of apple cider vinegar, water and 4-5T of rub.

I pulled it at ~200 and discovered for the first time that my weber thermo only reads up to 199* and then just flashes, when it's set for beef. I'll have to experiment with it a little more to see if another setting will allow it to go past the 199* mark. I then pulled it from the pan and wrapped it tightly in foil and put into a 250* pre-heated oven, then shut the oven off and left the brisket for 2 hours to cool slowly.
I separated the point and flat then sliced the flat to see what it looked like. The flat was slightly dry (not as dry as the picture makes it look) and was pretty tender, but next time I'll start going by feel when I think it's done. There was a small smoke ring, but considering it was foiled after only a couple hours of smoke I'm surprised there was a ring at all. Next brisket will be done low and slow for comparison; I'm expecting a deeper smoke ring under those conditions. This brisket looks like it could have taken another hour or so, but I'm not disappointed with it at all.

The sauce I made up was a real hit. I was going for a dry garlic sauce, because I love that with beef, so here's what I did.
I pulled 1.5c liquid from bottom of the pan using a turkey baster and mixed in a glass bowl with 1/4c fancy molasses, 1/4c ketchup, 1T granulated garlic, 1tsp cayenne, 1 star anise (ground fresh), s&p to taste.
The sauce turned out perfect without very much fine-tuning at all. I'll definitely make it again. Spooned over the warm brisket, man this was a real treat!

I can't wait to try my next brisket, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first, so I'll do a little more reading and research before I try again. Thanks to all for your advice.

Trev.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Burtess
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: First Brisket

Post by Burtess » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:01 am

That looks great Trevor... b2

I am going to have to try a brisket soon as well.

Question: Running a foiled pan at 300F; what were your vent settings? Mine will run at ~300F steady with all bottom vents closed, though I think I am getting air in between the bowl and mid-section.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 am

You know, Burt, I actually had some leakage around my charcoal bowl too, but I used some aluminum foil and it sealed it up pretty good.. I was running with what I though was all 3 vents wide open, but in fact turned out to be 2 vents wide open and one shut. Pretty strange set-up, I know, but that was just a brain fart as I usually balance my vents. Top vent always runs wide open unless I'm snuffing the fire.
I'm still not really used to the larger sized wsm and I've only done 4-5 cooks on it, but I can already see it running cooler. I had to order a new charcoal bowl for this one, and I still have a slightly out-of-round center section, but I've pretty near got it right by now.
I guess part of the fun is the fine-tuning.
beere
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Sounds too much like work guys. I like the electrics. Plug it in, add the wood, fill the water basin, add the meat, set the temp. and have a beer. :D b5a :wink: b2
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:01 pm

nahh... I get bored easy.

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Trev wrote:nahh... I get bored easy.
I agree...
Really, WSM are about as "set it and forget it" as anything out there.... even though they burn charcoal.
There is something primal about lighting a fire and cooking meat over it that I just cannot get enough of........

WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:26 am

Lotsa fire in an electric, it's just contained. Get bored? Have another beer mates.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

SmokeHound
Gofor

Post by SmokeHound » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:36 am

Burtess wrote:
Trev wrote:nahh... I get bored easy.
I agree...
Really, WSM are about as "set it and forget it" as anything out there.... even though they burn charcoal.
There is something primal about lighting a fire and cooking meat over it that I just cannot get enough of........

DITTO Burt!
New Braunfels offset wood smoker
Brinkman 5-burner 60K BTU gas grill
DIY 4' fire/BBQ pit
Weber-Smokey Joe

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:29 am

looks good. i still have not tryed one.

BobEQue
Firestarter

Post by BobEQue » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 pm

doogster wrote:Sounds too much like work guys. I like the electrics. Plug it in, add the wood, fill the water basin, add the meat, set the temp. and have a beer. :D b5a :wink: b2
I thought this too until I built the drum. temperature control is just as easy and you get the nice smokeline. Just finished a brisket. It stayed at a steady 270F grill temp. budda in 7 hours. it is resting right now

That is a good looking brisky, what kind of sauce did you serve it with?
UDS 1.2, ECB modded, Centro 30" smokehouse, Broil Mate gasser.
Great Lakes BBQ Association member

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 pm

The sauce was made with 1.5c drippings (no fat), 1/4c molasses, 1/4c ketchup, 1T granulated garlic, 1t cayenne, 1 star anise, s&p to taste.
I was going for a dry garlic type of sauce, like VH and this was pretty close. I love garlic with beef.

BobEQue
Firestarter

Post by BobEQue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 am

That sauce sounds really good. I served mine with a KC sauce recipe by Paul Kirk. I will have to try this one next time.
UDS 1.2, ECB modded, Centro 30" smokehouse, Broil Mate gasser.
Great Lakes BBQ Association member

backyard BBQ
Beer Wench

Post by backyard BBQ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 pm

[csounds like loveolor=#0040FF][/color]

backyard BBQ
Beer Wench