Paella!

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

peppermonster
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Paella!

Post by peppermonster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Trev wrote:The Portuguese hammered copper cataplana has to be one of the sweetest looking vessels I've ever seen. I'd love to own one of those babies, except my wife would change the locks if I came home with any more toys. :?
I have a similar Paella pan, did you season yours like you would a cast iron pan. My one and only time using my pan, did not turn out so well. Ever since it has been collecting dust.

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

peppermonster, my paella pans are carbon steel so they do need an oiling after each use, but carbon steel doesn't need to be heated up to season; applying oil after use when it's been washed and towel-dried is fine. Also, it's fine to use dishsoap on it as it doesn't really take/hold a seasoning like cast iron does, but it will rust if it's put away damp.
What do you think happened that your paella didn't turn out?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I use a lot of steel and iron pans, woks mostly, I'd recommend using mild dish soap when washing. I know a lot of sources recommend just hot water but I find the old cooked oil can remain and build up a sticky surface which will make the food stick. Once it's decently seasoned I find you don't even need to coat with oil, just put it away really dry. I also have a steel crepe pan. Doing a shallow fry for initial seasoning was the one decent piece of advice I ever got from Rachel Ray.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

peppermonster
Firestarter

Post by peppermonster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:05 am

Trev wrote:peppermonster, my paella pans are carbon steel so they do need an oiling after each use, but carbon steel doesn't need to be heated up to season; applying oil after use when it's been washed and towel-dried is fine. Also, it's fine to use dishsoap on it as it doesn't really take/hold a seasoning like cast iron does, but it will rust if it's put away damp.
What do you think happened that your paella didn't turn out?
Maybe I used it directly on my electric stove. It has been some time since that experience, so I am not quite sure. All I remember is that it was totaly positive. My paella pan has the green handle as opposed to red handles in your pics.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:07 pm

I guess the smaller pans would fit a stove-top better than the larger ones. If it hadn't been raining I would have used my kettle, set up for grilling. It works surprisingly well.
The only real difference between the green handled pans and the red handled ones is that the latter are 0.2mm thicker; both carbon steel. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, and the difference in price is minuscule.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Okay so don't be a moink, give us a recipe. I'd like to try that san.

I wuz looking at the pans on Amazon and they stated they only recommend for gas or an open flame, didn't recommend for electric or glass topped stoves. Any thoughts on that? I've used steel woks on electric loads with no issues. I use a steel crepe pan with leccie with no issues too. I might get a small paella pan to try with the induction burner.

BTW it looks like you have ceramic topped stove, how do you like that thing? I have one that came with the house, I like that it heats up quickly but don't like (at all) how long it stays hot. To do a braise I'd need to use 2 rings.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 pm

You can find a recipe for a basic paella on the web really easily, doogster. The one I did was a chicken and seafood paella. Try to use stuff you're familiar with so you know how long it takes to cook; It's key for everything to be ready at the same time, and with seafood that's not long. Also, if you don't have most of the spices on hand then buy the little pre-mixed packets of spice mix; they have the saffron and everything in them and they work excellent for smaller paella's. There are also larger bags of spice mix you can use a T or t at at time.
I wouldn't use a stovetop for a large paella pan- the heat's too concentrated in the center and it won't simmer properly. Might be okay for a smaller paella pan though. Let us know how that goes, okay? :wink:
I think amazon is right about an open flame or gas ring. I found that my grill worked okay, but charcoal was better/hotter and a gas ring is better still. Next time I want to use a wood fire.
I'm still kind of undecided about the glass top stove (and this is our second one :? ). You're right, they do stay hot for quite a while, and I don't like the constant on and off of the burners-- at least with gas it's a steady heat. I want to go back to gas but we'll see how long this stove lasts and I'll decide then.
Give the paella a go, doogster. If you do a little research you can do it too, and the payoff is one of the best dishes ever. Even a screwed up paella is great... not that I'd know...

:roll: :lol:

b2

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 am

There's just me here so a small pan would be fine. I'm getting really impressed by the induction burner. Did something really simple, bacon and eggs, tonight. Used the new Fagor cookware, it was great. I guess you could use the skillet as a Paella pan. Or does the seasoning of paella tend to stay with the pan?

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 am

doogster wrote: I guess you could use the skillet as a Paella pan. Or does the seasoning of paella tend to stay with the pan?
You can use anything at all to make paella, doogster; A fry pan or whatever ya got.
The seasoning doesn't transfer with the pan so you can use whatever you have and a good wash will clean it right up.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Got a paella pan off Amazon, just a 13.5" version, seasoning steel is easy, done it dozens of times. Seems like every damned video on Youtube has a totally different approach though. I'll look for those seasoning mixes mate.

canadaodyowner
Gofor

Post by canadaodyowner » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Trev, beautiful cook and photography, bet they taste great too. I'm learning to cook paella recently. Got a 13.5" pan with red handles like yours from Toronto's Kensington market for around $18, sticker says it's from Spain. I cook in the Big Green Egg. By the way, did you use the authentic bomba rice? I experimented with cheaper substitute rice, now that I got the hang of it my next cook will be with bomba rice.
-Gary

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 am

Hi Gary, how's it going? Need to buy more ML lump soon? I'll be needing to stock up again soon, so let me know if you do, too, and we'll put another deal together if you like.

I used bomba rice and even though it's traditional, it's quite inexpensive. I picked up two 1kg boxes for a good price. In fact, I've found that the spices, rice and some ingredients for paella aren't too expensive. It's the meat that gets pricey, especially when you start doing paella with lobster and such. Really tasty though.

doogster, I find the same thing. Everyone has a unique approach and it makes you wonder if there's an actual recipe at all. The truth is that a good paella is the one in front of you; use whatever you can get for types of meat, veg, etc, just make sure you use the right spices. Sounds like you've got the pan ready to go.
Just go for it man... and get that camera ready!
:D

canadaodyowner
Gofor

Post by canadaodyowner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Hey Trev, I'm well thanks, hope you summer is good. I'm well stocked for ML lump because I did another group buy with a buddy on the big green egg forum recently. Sorry I didn't ask you because when we did our buy in spring you indicated you've got enough ML to last the whole year! This time we bought at Nella in Mississauga, same price $12.50 ea if you buy 20 bags or more, but they didn't charge $10 fuel surcharge like the Nella in North York. However, they're not opened on Saturday. Actually I picked up a few bags for another big green egg forum member who'll be travelling from Virginia to cook in the first Canadian Egg Fest on September 19 http://www.nieggarafest.com .

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 am

Trev wrote: I'm still kind of undecided about the glass top stove (and this is our second one :? ). You're right, they do stay hot for quite a while, and I don't like the constant on and off of the burners-- at least with gas it's a steady heat. I want to go back to gas but we'll see how long this stove lasts and I'll decide then.

b2
I think you hit the nail on the head mate, and answered a second question. Why do induction burners simulate gas so wall? Gas and induction provide a constant heat. It's not just the instant temperature change, it's the fact that they're not all or nothing. It's not on and off, coils and glass top are just that.

Okay induction makes the pan heat up, but it does it with a steady magnetic field. Trust me, it works.

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I have induction and it is close to gas I had gas before I move to this new place .......it is super fast and steady I like it because it stays at an even temperature for ever...