Traegar - Intriguing

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

AD18
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 5

Traegar - Intriguing

Post by AD18 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm in the market for a new grill. I currently have a Napoleon Ultra Chef for my steak and chicken grilling needs and it has served me well. I also have a Bradley smoker that I do all my smoking jobs on. Primarily ribs, chicken, and turkey breast. The Napoleon has seen better days and I'm seriously considering replacing it with either a Weber Genesis 310 or Napoleon Prestige 450. It's a toss up between the 2. The Bradley is still chugging along merrily, right now actually with a load of chicken wings. I've read various posts here about the Traegar's and was looking at the Lil Tex Elite for about the same price as the Genesis or Prestige. My primary concern is the temp control on the Traegar. Is the auger feature controllable enough to keep grilling temps at 400 degrees for grilling and 210 to 230 for smoking? I can sell or give away the Bradley, get a Traegar for all my needs, but I'm concerned about the temp issue. As well, are pellets available outside of Toronto? I live in the Cobourg, Ontario area. Thanks for any help and I'll participate on this thread as best I can. Thnx.

Cramden
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Traegar - Intriguing

Post by Cramden » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am

I too am thinking about a Traegar and would like to know if it's worth adding the digital thermostat unit or will the "smoke, medium, high controller do just fine? Seems like a lot of extra cash.

Thanks
Cramden
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch!"

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 am

I was thinking about getting the digi-thermostat too... and I asked 5 different people and got 5 differnet answers....

Some say it's a must-have,, and others say its no good.

Mikedoc.

AD18
Beer Wench

Post by AD18 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 am

Temp control is a big issue for me, especially smoking. That is a definite positive for the Bradley, even without the digital controller they offer. As well with the Traegar is the inability to control the amount of smoke you put on the food. I've learned quickly, especially with the stronger woods like Hickory and Mesquite, you only apply a small amount. If the Traegar is setup with a full load of either of those I'd be concerned in regards to an over powering smoke flavour. But again not sure how much smoke and heat the Traegar produces. Seems like a good overall choice for a single unit, but I've been wondering if 2 separate units (grill and smoker) are better suited to what I do.

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:50 pm

It's pretty hard to over smoke the food with a Taeger...........
It'll be huffing smoke out of every orfice,,, and the food will still taste incredible.....

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:54 pm

AD18 wrote:My primary concern is the temp control on the Traegar.
If you are looking for better temp control I would strongly suggest getting the digital controller or the adjustable controller. The Treager 3 position controller may give you some issues as it only has three settings.
AD18 wrote:As well, are pellets available outside of Toronto?

Pellets are available at Home Hardware and if they do not have them they will order them in for you.
AD18 wrote:If the Traegar is setup with a full load of either of those I'd be concerned in regards to an over powering smoke flavour.
You will note over smoke food with a pellet pooper. In fact the biggest complaint that pellet pooper owners have is getting enough smoke into food. On the other forums that I follow where there are a lot of pellet cooker users on there are always discussions on how to get more smoke flavor. I have not had these issues but I like to have a balance in my flavors.
AD18 wrote:Seems like a good overall choice for a single unit, but I've been wondering if 2 separate units (grill and smoker) are better suited to what I do.
I have a Louisiana Grills/Country Smokers Whole Hog pellet cooker made by Danson's and this unit can smoke at 200 degrees and grill at 600 degrees if needed.

If you are looking at getting the latest in state of the art pellet cookers have a look at Fast Eddies latest creation. http://www.pelletcooker.com/

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 am

AD18 wrote: I'm seriously considering replacing it with either a Weber Genesis 310 or Napoleon Prestige 450.
I don't own a Treager, but between the 2 gas grills I'd say you can't go wrong with either choice. I have a Genesis and love it; the service from Weber is the best in the industry. But, the Napoleon is also a great grill and it could be that their service is just as good. It's built in Ontario, too.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.