Ribs Delicious--But A Tad Dry: Too Long?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Ribs Delicious--But A Tad Dry: Too Long?

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 am

Had friends and family over yesterday so I whipped up 4 baby back ribs on the WSM.

Put them on at 1:30 and took em off at 5:30 (4 hours). Cooked at a temp of approximately 225.

Verdict? EXCELLENT... but a tad dry. They weren't as moist as my first batch.

Everyone loved the rub, the sauce and of course... the ABT's that we served just prior to the ribs.

Any solutions? Ideas? Tips.

Thanks!

Blair
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo

AD18
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Ribs Delicious--But A Tad Dry: Too Long?

Post by AD18 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 am

Taking for granted you left them on the WSM for the full 4 hours. I had some drying out issues a few weeks back when I put the temp up to 225-230 for 4-5 hours. I've since backed off again to 210, 220 tops for 4 hours and got way better results. I leave mine in the smoker for the whole time. I do not do any of the various foil routines.

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:13 pm

AD18: Thank you for your comment and clarification. Yes, I ONLY smoked the ribs with no other routines. I should have been more clear.

I admit I'm having "newbie" challenges with getting the smoker at one set temp and then having it stay there. I've been reading up on the topic with tremendous enjoyment.

My favorite part of all of this is that I'm already becoming a WSM snob and my toughest critic. The ribs were very good... just a tad dry. Everyone loved it. One friend, from Australia, said they were phenomenal. He'd never had baby back ribs!

Blair
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo

AD18
Beer Wench

Post by AD18 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't have a WSM, but would really like one. I use a Bradley electric smoker, but the concept is the same. My butcher told me when I started out that smoking was an art that had to be learned. Each time you use it you'll learn something new. Unfortunately some of it doesn't come out as expected and you adjust the next time. Enjoy the trip.

Porkcasso
Gofor

Post by Porkcasso » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Foil em.....you gotta foil em up with various liquids.........for competitions I suggest lots and lots of hot sauce.........Ha ha ha !!!
Sean
Porkcasso-The Art of Barbecue

Grillman
Gofor

Post by Grillman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm

SmokeNVoodoo wrote:Had friends and family over yesterday so I whipped up 4 baby back ribs on the WSM.

Put them on at 1:30 and took em off at 5:30 (4 hours). Cooked at a temp of approximately 225.

Verdict? EXCELLENT... but a tad dry. They weren't as moist as my first batch.

Everyone loved the rub, the sauce and of course... the ABT's that we served just prior to the ribs.

Any solutions? Ideas? Tips.

Thanks!

Blair
Foil. I smoke for the first two hours, foil for one, back on the rack for 30-45 minutes or so until they are almost done and then sauce directly on the smoker for 30 minutes.

I've experimented with adding apple juice to the foil pouch...makes them very moist and fall off the bone...too 'fall off the bone' for me. I like some 'tug' to my ribs. The biggest problem...not piercing the foil pouch!

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 am

IMO 4 hours is too long for backs. If they were smaller racks; about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb, 3 hours should do the trick. 2 hours without even looking at them, then turn and give them a good spray of apple juice til they are done. Sauce and maybe more apple juice towards the end. When the meat pulls back from the ends of the bones maybe 1/2" they are ready to eat. I have never been a fan of foil; too much effort for questionable result. With a full pan of water in the cooker, moisture should not be a problem.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am

I always foil for at least an hour, and add liquid with the foil for steam.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:48 am

If there are any leftovers, use the foil to wrap for the leftovers for the fridge
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks Adrienne, I knew someone would come up with a use for foil :lol: :lol:

Sorry to disagree with you, Trev, but I barbecue ribs cause I don't like them boiled or steamed.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Peter wrote: Sorry to disagree with you, Trev, but I barbecue ribs cause I don't like them boiled or steamed.
I don't like boiled ribs either, Peter, but I've found that for my personal taste, and my family, a little time is the foil works. Maybe not kosher by your high standards, but it works for me. I've done them without foil many times and I preferred the softer bark I got with the foil. I'd hate to think that anyone would avoid trying ribs in foil just because a few people disapprove. It makes far more sense, in my book, to experiment and find what works best for the individual.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

Trev wrote:
Peter wrote: Sorry to disagree with you, Trev, but I barbecue ribs cause I don't like them boiled or steamed.
I don't like boiled ribs either, Peter, but I've found that for my personal taste, and my family, a little time is the foil works. Maybe not kosher by your high standards, but it works for me. I've done them without foil many times and I preferred the softer bark I got with the foil. I'd hate to think that anyone would avoid trying ribs in foil just because a few people disapprove. It makes far more sense, in my book, to experiment and find what works best for the individual.
Absolutely right, Trev, its all about personal taste. I could not use foil when I was catering; time would not allow, so I learned to depend on apple juice spray to keep the ribs moist and soften the bark a bit.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Peter, I tried spraying them but it dried off so fast I thought it wasn't making a difference. Is there a trick to it, or something I could add to the apple juice to make is stick (so to speak)? I need to give it a try again; foil isn't cheap and I despise throwing the stuff out after a single short use like that, especially the HD stuff- it's downright expensive, and seems to have plenty of life left in it after it's used.
Any advice is always appreciated.
b2

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Usually just apple juice (catering) but I added beer at times (at home) to the sprayer. After the first 2 hours, spray twice or three times. Each time; spray, turn and spray again. Last time add the sauce, if you use it, and continue cooking to just set the sauce. I have used as much as 3 cans of apple juice for a full load of ribs. Lay it on til it drips off. Small back ribs should be falling off the bone after 3 hours total at 225 - 250º. Back ribs can be cooked hotter than spares, they are more tender and don't need the extra time to break down connective tissue.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks for the comments. I was warned about the "absolutes" of bbq'ing... I guess it's like any other industry, there are always different points of view!

No, I didn't foil, but I'll try next time. I DID spray them with apple cider, which probably helped.

You know, I'm just LOVING this. The last time I smoked I had had a very stressful day prior and it just took my mind off of everything. What a fabulous life!

Thanks everyone.
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo