Spare ribs at Costco?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Roger M
Gofor

Spare ribs at Costco?

Post by Roger M » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Almost bought some tonight, thought they were good value being without the breastbone and what i thought were 4 racks to a pack. Then i asked the kid working nearby he said its 2 in a pack just folded over? they really looked like 4 to a pack but i belived him and got the back ribs instead. Anyone ever got the side ribs there that can confirm?

Roger

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Spare ribs at Costco?

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:57 pm

I get spares there often. It's 2 full racks folded, but these suckers are big. I cut them and still get 4 decent sized racks. They may not be the same quality you can get from your local butcher. I'm not sure. I don't have any complaints so far, except for a bad pack I got last year.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Roger M wrote:Almost bought some tonight, thought they were good value being without the breastbone and what i thought were 4 racks to a pack. Then i asked the kid working nearby he said its 2 in a pack just folded over? they really looked like 4 to a pack but i belived him and got the back ribs instead. Anyone ever got the side ribs there that can confirm?

Roger
Yes they are 2 racks folded over with a large flap of meat there that cooks differently. I bought them once and did not like them. I am not sure where you are from but here in Ottawa RCSS, Independent and probably Loblaws has St. Louis cut side ribs on sale for $1.99/lb. Costs about $4-$5 per rack. The only problem is that they are seasoned cryo. but most anything that is cryo packed is seasoned these days. I did a couple racks a week ago and they turned out good. Being out of work I like sales.

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by doogster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:47 am

According to Market Place (is that show still on?) Costco has the best meat of any chain store in Canada.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 am

I agree totally with what Doogster is saying. I have had a Costco membership for years now and it is mainly because of the meat. I have bought the same steaks at Sobey's, A&P, Zehrs and Costco. Cooked them all exactly the same way and the Costco steaks had more flavor and were much more tender then all of the rest. The only thing that I can figure for this, is that Costco may age their meat longer. Here it is 7:36 am and I am getting hungry for a good steak right now. Darn you Doogster :wink: 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 am

Don't get me wrong I really like Costco for their meat and there back ribs are my first choice above all others. Nobody sells back ribs with the amount of meat that Costco has. They have good chicken and fish. It has been a long time since I had their steaks as they are just too large for me. If they sold them individually they would be fine as 1 would be good for my wife and myself but I really do not like freezing steak.

Rob R
Gofor

Post by Rob R » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:11 am

I don't know if Ontario is the same, but out here Costco gets their pork from Colorado. The back ribs are meaty, the spares are huge, the bigger cases are over 45 lbs, 10 slabs per case. I like them both. Good prices too.

Their beef is good quality because it's all Canadian AAA. It has nothing to do with what they do with the meat when they get it, they're no different from any other grocery store in that regard. The meat comes in, they put it out. Spares are one of the few meats that sees any kind of processing in the back.

Here in Sask, the spares are the same in every grocery store - a whole slab run through the saw lengthwise. They are not picky about sawing along the end of the bones, so the nice rack ends up really narrow. 2 slabs to a package, put out in the sales display. If you want a real St Louis style rack, you have to phone the meat dept. and ask them to put some price stickers on the unopened cryovacs.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Does Walmart in Canada have Steakhouse brand steaks? I've got those in the past and they are great. My favorite is the top sirloin. What they have here in the US may be different though. If they have them in Canada give them a try.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes, Costco has some decent meat thats for sure, good prices too.

The only place (mass sales) that can touch their back's is Lococo's in Stoney Creek. Now those are some slabs!! They leave loads of loin meat on them, each rib is like eating a mini porkchop....

As said above, all the beef is Canada AAA, which is equivalent to USDA Choice. Most grocery stores sell AA....
The sirloins at around $5.99/lb are cut very thick, never had a tough one, and amazing flavour.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

Roger M
Gofor

Post by Roger M » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 pm

I love Lacocos i go down about once a month depending on sales

TheSmokingDude