Disadvantages to aXL egg?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Roger M
Gofor

Disadvantages to aXL egg?

Post by Roger M » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:23 pm

I am used to cooking ona 22" weber kettle or a 22" WSM so I figure I need the XL are there any downsides to this cooker? The large just seems too small.

Rib Fan
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Disadvantages to aXL egg?

Post by Rib Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:57 pm

How many people do you usually cook for? The large has a grill extender accessory that can be purchased cheap which significantly increases cooking area.
Here is another factor you might want to consider. For the price of the XL you can purchase a large and a small BGE. This adds to the versatility of cooking at two different temps and would increase grill space as well.
I have the large/small combo and I never run out of grilling space. Often I will cook appetizers on the small at 375 or whatever and have butts or ribs going on the large at 250.
If you get the XL there is a lump reducer thingy which will reduce the amount of lump used for smaller cooks.

Wayne

canadaodyowner
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by canadaodyowner » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I have the large/small combo too. You can also order the adjustable rigs from www.ceramicgrillstore.com for multi-level cooks in the large. You can also use carriage bolts and nuts to configure your own multi-level setup. The XL has very limited head room.

Roger M
Gofor

Post by Roger M » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the input. I actually ended up with a Primo. The guy i wanted to buy from convinced me i needed one.