Hawaiian Pork/ Kalua Pig?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

teebone110
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Hawaiian Pork/ Kalua Pig?

Post by teebone110 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Any one try this on a WSM?

I was wondering if this could be done?

Some methods I have read about included a pork butt rubbed with salt and/orgarlic powder, wrapping with banana leaves or bananas. It has been recommended to additionally wrap in foil, but I am not sure if this would allow it to be smoked vs steamed?

Any thoughts on this one? :

Thanks,

Tyler

Christopher
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Hawaiian Pork/ Kalua Pig?

Post by Christopher » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 am

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 pm

I've used banana leaves to make cochinita pibil a number of times, but only in the oven. I'd say that if you want a smoke ring then smoke the butt (or picnic) for at least a few hours before wrapping in leaves and/or foil. Banana leaves will dry out and become brittle pretty quickly, so foil isn't a bad idea to keep things moist while it's finishing.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

teebone110
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by teebone110 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks for the link and the tips!
I agree with Trev, I think that it needs to be smoked for a few hours, then foiled.

P.S. Trev, I finally got my WSM, after pestering you for yours b3 Everything I have smoked has been awesome! This site has been great. Thanks everyone b2

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:18 pm

You know what, Tyler, I kind of wondered if this was you or not. Welcome to the site and I'm so glad it's working out for you. This is the place, bro. You'll get some seriously good advice here. Welcome aboard, Tyler.
b2
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.