Help with some grey soot

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

rockk62
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Help with some grey soot

Post by rockk62 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 am

Hello

For the last few weeks I have been unable to use my grill due to a grey soot that seems to appear on anything I put on the BBQ. I have scraped and cleaned all surfaces with soapy water, replaced the burner and checked for spider webs....

Anyone have any ideas, I'm to the point of buying a new bbq, but I love my Broil King and would like to get a few more years out of.

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Help with some grey soot

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Can you post a pic of the soot? My first thought was a fire in the drip pan, but you've likely cleaned that by now. My second guess would be the actual cleaning product carbonizing and falling from the inside of the hood. My last idea would be contaminated fuel. I've had that before and it's not pretty either. Beyond that I'm at a loss for ideas. Have you called Broil King about it?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

rockk62
Dishwasher

Post by rockk62 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Trev.

Don't imagine its the propane, it started occurring mid tank. I should give broil king a call, never thought about that. The only thing I clean with is very little soap and hot water, again, this started well after a cleaning. The soot is very fine, on chicken you can pretty much just wipe it off, but it gets darker as you let the meat cook. I originally thought it may have been grease buildup from bacon that was cooked last on the grill, but again, all surfaces would have been cleaned since. Has anyone ever had an issue with a bad heat shield?

Thanks again

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm

What colour is the flame emitted from the burner?
They should be a nice even blue colour when the grill is sufficiently "burnt off" (clean) and there is no food on. If the flame is a bright orange it usually means that your air supply is choked off and this will cause soot production.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

rockk62
Dishwasher

Re: Help with some grey soot - solved!

Post by rockk62 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 pm

Turns out it was a bad regulator....figures it was the last thing to be replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.