Fist real smoke in progress!

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

KevinG
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Fist real smoke in progress!

Post by KevinG » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, after spending countless hours researching various sites, and looking all over S.W. Ontario for a good deal, I finally bit the bullet and purchased my first smoker on Friday. After looking at various types and designs, being the glutton for punishment that I am, decided on an offset for my first foray into smokers. I had considered going with a vertical design, but I like the idea of having to tend to the fire on an offset, For myself, the journey there is as important as the final product. I like the idea of having to "fuss" over it and having to ensure that everything is just so.

I looked at the offerings from TSC, Home Hardware, and a couple of other places, but all I found was very cheap, flimsy looking things. The price was ok, but I kept on looking. I happened upon a liquidation warehouse by work, and among the Weber gas grills and the Brinkman Gourmets, I found my Char Broil Silver Smoker. I know that is has it's short commings, and mods are required, but it seems to be of a heavier guage metal and more sturdy that what I has seen previously. I like the fact that it can hold quite a bit of meat in it and it has a door to get the ashes out.

I was away all day yesterday so I was unable to get things going, but today went and bought some charcoals with the plan of putting a baffel on and extending the stack down to the grate, seasoning her up and having the first smoke tomorrow after purchasing some good lump charcoal and wood chunks from Strodes. Well, after the burn out and spray down, I was able to dial in a steady 220 much to my surprise (still dont know exactly what I did) so I decided to take the opportunity and throw some pork loin for her trial run.

I'll let you know how the first trial goes!

Kevin

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Fist real smoke in progress!

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Good luck, Kevin. And don't forget to snap a few pics of the maiden smoke.
8)
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Armygriller
Gofor

Post by Armygriller » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Congrats on your new Q, let us know how the first smoke turns out.

b2

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Man I wish I'd known that was your pick ... I have a larger unit slightly used that I have a LP conversion for that I would like to see in a new home .... reasonable.
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

KevinG
Beer Wench

Post by KevinG » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Squeezy wrote:Man I wish I'd known that was your pick ... I have a larger unit slightly used that I have a LP conversion for that I would like to see in a new home .... reasonable.

I should have posted that I was looking for an offset, but the deal I got on this one was good.

I have pics of the maiden smoke, just have to charge up the camera to transfer them. As we speak I have 2 racks of baby back on and am going to attemp a 6-7lb picnic butt and a 6 lb chuch roast tomorrow.

Roger M
Gofor

Post by Roger M » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 pm

What part of Cambridge are you in?

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 am

....... and the fun begins! b6
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

KevinG
Beer Wench

Post by KevinG » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Roger M wrote:What part of Cambridge are you in?
I'm in East Galt.

Well, the ribs turned out not too bad, they were quite tasty but a touch tough. I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method next time.

The pork and beef are smoking away right now and seem to be doing good. The only downside that I'm finding is that I'm burning through lots of fuel. I'm using Basques and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far. Very easy to light and keeps a good steady temp. I was using Kingsford briquets to start with but I have learned the error of my ways. I'm going to have to make a few more mods to seal up the fire box since I seem to be going through a better part of a whole bag for a smoke, and Basques isn't cheap!

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:41 pm

KevinG wrote:
Roger M wrote:What part of Cambridge are you in?
I'm in East Galt.

Well, the ribs turned out not too bad, they were quite tasty but a touch tough. I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method next time.

The pork and beef are smoking away right now and seem to be doing good. The only downside that I'm finding is that I'm burning through lots of fuel. I'm using Basques and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far. Very easy to light and keeps a good steady temp. I was using Kingsford briquets to start with but I have learned the error of my ways. I'm going to have to make a few more mods to seal up the fire box since I seem to be going through a better part of a whole bag for a smoke, and Basques isn't cheap!
That's why I want to get rid of my offset ... uses too much fuel ... but nothing looks more cool than an offset! On the plus side it the large cooking area it has....
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!