350ºF Butt

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Shawn W
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

350ºF Butt

Post by Shawn W » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 am

I finally tried a HH pork butt and the results were great! As good PP as any I've made. The butt was ~8lbs, nicely trimmed, still a nice fat cap on it.

Put it on at 10:15am, wet rub brushed on. Dry rub + a little cider vinegar and worcestershire, 2/3 ring unlit lump, 1/3 chimney lit + 4 chunks apple wood:

By 12:15pm the WSM was up to 350ºF (dry pan, clay saucer) and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the cook.

At 1:30pm (3.25 hours) it reached 165ºF internal:

I basted on another coat of wet rub and continued cooking:

Just shy of 5 hours it reached 190ºF internal. It still felt a little too firm but I double foiled and in the cooler thinking there would be lots of residual heat to finish tenderizing.

2 hours rest later it was still too firm IMO. So into a 325ºF oven for another hour, then another hour in the cooler. It was then FOTB, amazingly tender and juicy (picture is kind of a wash, wrong color setting :(, it had more color than that):

It had great bark, lots of flavor, I really don't see a downside to HH butt from this cook. Not to mention a strong BACON aroma :).

If there was a downside it's too much grease/dripping smoke with an empty water pan using higher heat.

5 hours was pretty amazing. Next time I'll let it get more tender before removing it, so if it's like this one probably 6 or 7 hours. The residual heat didn't do as much work as I thought it might.

I quite like this brush on wet rub business. Would be even better overnight I think, it sticks to vertical surfaces and is less messy than sprinkling and/or mustard slather.

2 thumbs way up from me for HH butt. This one really had me cursing the time spent on overnighters trying to hold it steady at 225ºF, what a waste of good night's sleep. :)

Squeezy
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: 350ºF Butt

Post by Squeezy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Sounds like you got it cooked OK .... however, I never cook my butts that fast & hot. 220 to 230F for whatever time it takes, resting for as long as it takes to get down to about 140F before pulling....
Sure looked good.
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:48 pm

High heat butts are the cats ass!!

I recently began doing them this way on the WSM and the results are easily more moist and just as tasty as doing them at ~240F....

Looks great Shawn!

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:32 pm

VVVVery interesting !!!!!! b5a
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

drunken monkey
Runner

Post by drunken monkey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Next time you do a high temp butt, place the meat in a foil pan fat side down. Smoke for 3 hours and the cover tightly with foil for 1 hour then remove the foil and smoke for another hour. It should be ready to pull like a 12 hour butt. I started doing this instead of overnight cooks and I'm very happy with the results. I think you can taste more of the spice rub this way.

dannyboy
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by dannyboy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:39 pm

A trick to keep the fat from smoking with the water pan empty is to line it with foil - use the wide stuff but leave a 1/2" of air gap between the foil and bottom of the pan.

Dan