Real BBQ is moving north

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Peter
The middle number please (3): 5
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Real BBQ is moving north

Post by Peter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:24 am

Went to our local fall fair last night here in New Liskeard for an evening out with the kids. Wandering through the aisles of chips, poutine, candy floss and so on; I was drawn by the unmistakable aroma of wood smoke. There, among the regular food vendors was a Lang 84 pumping out some really good eats.
Central BBQ, based in North Bay has been operating less than a year but, according to the owners, is getting busier all the time.
We sampled the pulled pork sandwich, of course. Generous, expertly assembled and very very tasty. The smoked wings were also right on the money; nicely spiced, tender and juicy. Beans were also very good, full of meat as they should be.
Certainly made my night!
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Re: Real BBQ is moving north

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Hey Peter...Glad to hear that you had a good time and eats. I have a question for ya. I had a boss down here in Niagara Falls that moved up to your neck of the woods late last year. His name is Randy Sheldon and he and his wife bought a place up there that has a gas station, store and liquor outlet. He also has a passion for buying old tractors and refurbishing them. I was just wondering if there was any chance that you knew of him? I was just wanting to contact him to say hi and see how he and his wife are doing. Thought it was worth asking. Are ya gettin ready for the winter there yet? Lets hope that you don't get too much snow this winter or it will be too hard to get out to your smoker. Take care and keep well. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Hippie, that sounds likethe general store in Kenabeek, just west of us. Good location for sure.

Get this straight -- I don't want to hear about winter and snow or anything else negative like that :D :D We are still getting summer here and it WILL last. :D :D
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Peter wrote:Went to our local fall fair last night here in New Liskeard for an evening out with the kids. Wandering through the aisles of chips, poutine, candy floss and so on; I was drawn by the unmistakable aroma of wood smoke. There, among the regular food vendors was a Lang 84 pumping out some really good eats.
Central BBQ, based in North Bay has been operating less than a year but, according to the owners, is getting busier all the time.
We sampled the pulled pork sandwich, of course. Generous, expertly assembled and very very tasty. The smoked wings were also right on the money; nicely spiced, tender and juicy. Beans were also very good, full of meat as they should be.
Certainly made my night!
Any chance these folks will be set up at the ploughing match in Earlton next weekend? I`m hoping to head there from Timmins on Saturday.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 am

No, I wish they were but they said they were too late registering.
I will be there helping a friend with her "wienie wagon". Look me up at Hot Diggety Dogs and say hello.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Hot Diggety Dogs . . . now that name has given me a reason to smile. Love it!
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Sorry I missed you Peter as I just logged on now. Visited the IPM on Saturday... they did have someone doing some smoking on the last row before the trailers... he was smoking pork and beef for sandwiches. Had myself some beef on a bun with some great smokey flavour. Currently on a low carb diet so could not eat the bun, but the rest of it was quite good.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Too bad we missed hooking up. The little town of Earlton - pop 1,000 or so was host to over 80,000 visitors for the 5 days of IPM. What a blast!!
I checked out buddy with the BBQ there. He was from Cobourg and cooking on a little Lang offset. Good BBQ for sure!
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by mikita21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 am

There is a man at the Meaford Farmers Market on Georgian Bay, Friday afternoons, who has a small smoker and does the most amazing beef ribs for sale. The smell of smoke just draws lovers of bbq like a magnet; you can just tell something good is happening.
However, I missed him this year (just never got to the market!) But I am going to hunt him down and learn more about him, because I think he might be a candidate for something more than just backyard smoking and once-a-week-marketing..........
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"