Anyone deal with malabar superspice?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Roger M
Gofor

Anyone deal with malabar superspice?

Post by Roger M » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Called them tonight for some info on sure cure. The response i was getting was almost as if to say that if i needed to ask i had no buisness trying. I was kinda excited after fining the site as they have more than bulk barn carries. Maybe i caught her on an off day? :cry:

Peter
The middle number please (3): 5
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Re: Anyone deal with malabar superspice?

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm surprised to hear of that response. I received from them a data sheet showing quantities of sure cure to use in various applications safely.
Must have been a bad day.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

KevinG
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by KevinG » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Thats not good to hear. I was going to contact them to get some spices... but perhaps I will have to rethink that.
Do you have to order over the phone, or can you go in and browse?

Schultz
Runner

Post by Schultz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37 am

I have dealt with them a couple of times and both times I thought the service was very good. You might be right on the bad day.
Schultz - Happy Grillmore

Proudly Sponsored By;
Ontario Gas BBQ
Wellington Brewery
Kings Wood Products

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:28 am

I think I'd give them another chance. I've dealt with them on three occasions and they've been very professional and helpful. They only sell to the public on one day of the week-- Thursday, I think-- and there's nothing to browse, really, as you're confined to a front area while they go and get the product for you. They were quite friendly with me and I'd go there again in a heart-beat. Good prices, too.

edit: after re-reading the OP's post, it seems kind of familiar wherever you go that certain people would raise alarm bells when it comes to any amateur use of nitrites/nitrates. These items are proven to cause cancer in rats, so they're understandably concerned that you know what you're doing before you go into this thing. Concentration levels are critical, as our allowable ppm amounts in Canada are different than (i.e less than) those of the states. If you use the Charcuterie book (highly recommended!) then be forewarned that it gives American amounts and concentrations. When I dealt with Malabar the first time they asked me all kinds of questions about what I was doing, and then I was given a good 20 minute talk by one of the employees about how I was going to do it. They take it quite seriously, but I can't blame them. Ultimately, I came away with a feeling like they actually cared and wanted to make sure that I knew what I was doing.They seemed to feel a certain amount of responsibility to the public, and to me.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Roger M
Gofor

Post by Roger M » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am

Trev wrote: edit: after re-reading the OP's post, it seems kind of familiar wherever you go that certain people would raise alarm bells when it comes to any amateur use of nitrites/nitrates. These items are proven to cause cancer in rats, so they're understandably concerned that you know what you're doing before you go into this thing. Concentration levels are critical, as our allowable ppm amounts in Canada are different than (i.e less than) those of the states. If you use the Charcuterie book (highly recommended!) then be forewarned that it gives American amounts and concentrations. When I dealt with Malabar the first time they asked me all kinds of questions about what I was doing, and then I was given a good 20 minute talk by one of the employees about how I was going to do it. They take it quite seriously, but I can't blame them. Ultimately, I came away with a feeling like they actually cared and wanted to make sure that I knew what I was doing.They seemed to feel a certain amount of responsibility to the public, and to me.
I totally understand the reasoning for their concern hence why i called them for help, I'll give them another call later today. Intersting you say they only deal with the public on thursdays i never saw that on the site, i was gonna stop in there today.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 am

Roger M wrote:
Trev wrote: Intersting you say they only deal with the public on thursdays i never saw that on the site, i was gonna stop in there today.
Ya, it surprised me as well. I didn't see a sign up but when I inquired to buy some cure they said that they only sell to the public on a certain day- I believe it was Thursday. I think it's cash only, too, but it would be a good idea to confirm with them first.
Good luck, Roger. Let us know how it goes.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.