Booze, it is not just for drinkig

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

SmokinQ
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Booze, it is not just for drinkig

Post by SmokinQ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm

A recent post asked what peoples favorite drinks are. How about peoples favorite drinks for cooking with?

I really enjoy cooking with booze. Some may find it a sin to use alcohol for something other then drinking but I like to use alcohol for cooking as much as for drinking.

Some of my favorite beverages to cook with are:

Beer - I have been known to use beer in my BBQ Beans.

Bourbon or Whiskey - Again these have gone in the beans. I use them in my BBQ sauce. I have mixed it with apple juice and maple syrup and used to spray my ribs or shoulders.

Rum - This has gone in my BBQ sauces as well. I have made rum apples for a rib side dish. I like the rum sauce on my apple pies. I take a frying pan and melt some butter, add some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg saute some old bananas throw in some rum turn off the lights and light it up for a good show.

Amaretto - Here is a recipe for one of my favorite summer time desserts.

Amaretto Breeze
8 ounces Cream Cheese -- Softened
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Sugar
3 tablespoons Almond flavored liqueur
2 tablespoons Whipping cream
1 pint Blueberries
1 pint Strawberries -- Sliced

Beat the cream cheese and sour cream together add in the sugar, liqueur, cream and chill. Toss the fruit together and spoon into individual serving dishes, and top with the chilled cream cheese sauce.

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Re: Booze, it is not just for drinkig

Post by Peter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Oh, now you have started something!

Beer goes in anything .... pasta sauce, stews, beans, sauces; just about the same as wine.

Sherry is really the best for beans.

Port goes in the cranberry sauce.

Rye, scotch, bourbon, brandy go in sauces and gravies.

Scotch, brandy and rum often go in preserves. Peach jam with jalapenos and rum or with slivered almonds and Amaretto is a treat.

When I can afford to buy it; calvados goes in the apple pie and the apple crisp.

Cognac goes into the chocolate dipping sauce for fresh berries.

Amaretto goes in cheesecake; not a cooked cheesecake but one with whipped cream and egg whites stirred into a cream cheese custard, chilled and topped with amaretto flavoured whipped cream and toasted almonds.

Brandy or cognac go in the pate.

Vodka goes in the marinade for gravlax.

enough for now ... I gotta go cook something.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Wow, it's making my mouth water just reading the ideas. When I was growing up we often used beer with battered fish. I love that flavour. I also like to use rum with a jerk marinade and in rib glaze. I've found whiskey is also excellent in rib glaze, by accident, really. Finally, I'd be remiss to forget to mention white wine steamed mussels and, my fave, red wine with beef. Oh mama, that's the best!
That's about all I've got, but I may have to experiment soon.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Smokin` Hot Chick
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 am

A book dedicated to grilling with beer.
Keep your eyes peeled on April 1st, 2010 for...

Beerlicious: The Art of Grillin' & Chillin' by Ted Reader

Available at fine book stores everywhere.