Good Luck Shot

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Swines&Bovines
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Good Luck Shot

Post by Swines&Bovines » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm

We are less then a month away from the first comp of the year in Ottawa and once again, S&B BBQ will be hosting the 40 Creek Good Luck Shot at 8:30 Saturday morning for all events. For any newbies, it will be a chance for us to all get together and remember why we all do this - for the amazing friends we have all made and for the fun that each comp provides, before we get back to trying to kick each others butt! This year we are also very happy to be partnering with CancerSucksChicago.com. There will be a donation jar available at the Good Luck Shot where people can throw in any loose change to help fight a horrible disease. A donation will not be a prerequisite for getting a 'shot'. Some people already donate enough, some people donate to other causes, some people just aren't interested - that's all fine. The jar will be there for those who wish to contribute and it will be a simple way for us as a group to do our part to make the world a better place. 100% of the money will be donated as well as S&B is pledging 10% of any comp winnings too. Most of us know first hand that cancer does indeed suck and we know how important it is to find a cure because one day it could be one of us or someone close to us that will appreciate our efforts. For anyone who isn't familiar with CancerSucksChicago.com, check out the website. Scottie is a great guy who does an unbelievable amount of work for the cause and has raised thousands of dollars within the BBQ community for cancer research. He is truly proud that his foundation has now gone international. I'm asking for your help to make this a big success.

See you guys in 4 weeks!
Jason
S&B Southern BBQ & Catering Co.

Proud to partner with...
Buster Rhino's Sauce and Rubs
Conestoga Meats
Central Fresh Market
Duraflame Charcoal
Precent Technologies
Breslau Restaurant Supplies
CancerSucksChicago.com

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Sounds like a great idea Jason, from reading the board fairly regularly I know a few of us have lost immediate family members to cancer over the last few years.

You can count on some help from our team. I'd like to promise a percentage of our winnings but that that might be a big fat zero. :lol:

Cancer research is better off with us contributing to the jar.... :wink:

Schultz-Happy Grillmore

Post by Schultz-Happy Grillmore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 pm

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a great idea(both the cause and the morning eye opener.) See you all in Ottawa!

Schultz
Happy Grillmore

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:11 pm

I got to meet Scotty recently and he is a fun guy. Glad this jar is happening as most of you know my Mom lost her battle last August. We plan on continuing our monthly donations and also to the jar!!!
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Swines&Bovines
Pork Puller

Post by Swines&Bovines » Thu May 01, 2008 12:50 pm

There have been a couple questions people have asked in regards to the money being sent to the US instead of staying in Canada. Nothing negative, just inquiring as to the reasoning behind sending the money to the US as opposed to keeping it here. One point I want to make perfectly clear right off the bat - this is not ME trying to raise money, this is US trying to raise money. I'm not looking for a pat on the back or my name in lights or anything like that. I'm simply the link between the group and the recipient. If this is going to work, it needs to be something that everyone feels comfortable supporting. The biggest factor right off the bat is that Scottie has all the resources available to collect money as a charitable organization. He is set up as a not-for-profit and is operating as a legal foundation. I don't have the time, energy or resources to set something like this up, so it makes it easier to just donate to a foundation that is already established. The second point is that we all know each other from this crazy obsession called BBQ. That's how we all met and that is the channel through which we are trying to raise money. Considering that, I think it's important that we support others who share our unique obsession and if we are going to get behind a cause, who better then a fellow BBQ brother? The last point is that the money Scottie raises goes to Northwestern University which is one of the best research institutions in the world. They have a yearly operating budget of $1.5 billion as well as recieving over $400 million in private donations, where as the Canadian Cancer Society has a $50 million budget. That is in no way, shape or form a negative statement about the CCS and the fantastic job they do, just a statement of fact. Having a huge budget allows them to hire the cream of the crop in the research field, the best equipment the largest study groups etc. As Diva said, I'm still going to continue to support the CCS as well as support Cancer Sucks! through the donation jar. Here is a little of what Scottie had to say in terms of us sending money to his foundation,

"One thing that people should realize, that oncologist and research oncologist like my wife's doctor is, share all of their information with each other. There isn't any holding back secrets in the field of oncology. So if cures are found in the US, Mexico, Canada or wherever, it benefits all. Not just the country where the research was done. I know all of this from doing this for a few years and dealing with organizations, doctors, et al. People should know that it does benefit all of mankind, not just certain regions. My group also does not have any overhead and I run a lean ship. While I would like to say that 100% of our funds are donated, but we do have a couple of mandatory expenses. We are in the 97% range. Which if you know anything about not for profits. Those are staggering numbers."

Scottie fully supports whichever direction we decide to go in. As I said earlier, this isn't about me, it's about us, so if we as a group are happy supporting Cancer Sucks! then we will go that route, if people feel the money should stay here, then that can be arranged as well. Man I feel like Dave (Hippieforever) with my 5 page post! :D
Jason
S&B Southern BBQ & Catering Co.

Proud to partner with...
Buster Rhino's Sauce and Rubs
Conestoga Meats
Central Fresh Market
Duraflame Charcoal
Precent Technologies
Breslau Restaurant Supplies
CancerSucksChicago.com

Qfan
Pork Puller

Cancer Sucks

Post by Qfan » Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 pm

J:
I agree that we should follow the path with the template and paperwork already in place so that funds raised, whatever they may be, go as directly as possible towards cancer research and assistance for those affected;and at this point, that solution obviously appears to be Scottie's cancersuckschicago foundation.
Having said that, I still think we need to see and appreciate the fundraising/community awareness aspect of the CBA mandate in our own backyard(s) and do things above and beyond this initiative in our own community(s). J, not sure what station you listen to in your market, but I tune in to KOOL-FM out of Kitchener and they just wrapped up a poster-boy campaign where one of their morning crew spent a week on top of a billboard to help raise funds for the Grand River Cancer Centre. No reason why those of us within a short commute of that area couldn't have done a CBA awareness/fundraising bbq in support of that effort.
I know folks like Earl and Barb of Bustin Loose have already and quietly done some fairly major fundraising gigs featuring their bbq talents over the years. No reason why we can't do more of these in the communities in which we live and band together to promote bbq and raise a few $$ for worthwhile causes to boot.
Mike
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

bbqD
Chicken Choker

Post by bbqD » Fri May 02, 2008 7:19 pm

J
I like it! Great call, we would be happy to add to the jar for a good cause and a taste of that smooth whiskey.

On another note, or maybe it should be another thread-who's going to Ottawa?-we just sent in our money today, looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Darrin
The BBQ Effect
www.thebbqeffect.com