The CBA: All We Know, May 7, 2008

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Qfan
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

The CBA: All We Know, May 7, 2008

Post by Qfan » Wed May 07, 2008 8:38 pm

To follow up on Harvey’s post and to try to clarify issues with the CBA and with the Ontario Series ‘satellite’ events, here is ‘all we know’ at this point.

The Barrie event is set to go on as planned and run as smoothly as it has for the last 4 years, thanks to the continued input and hard work from the team at Napoleon (Dave and Nathalie) as well as assistance from Caiti at Eventrix. Dave has confirmed that all is coming together in a smooth and organized fashion for this event in July.

The CBA Ontario Championship Series satellite events have always been viewed as a separate entity that stand apart, yet as a complement, to the big Canadian Open event. In that regard, the Series has seen some venues and dates come and go and others start to become fixtures of the Series and reliable dates on the bbq calendar. The Paris event springs instantly to mind in that regard, and now with the help of Harley up in Ottawa, that event and venue is gaining a reputation as a cornerstone of the Ont Series. To date, we have confirmation of the following events:
Ottawa, Smoked to the Bone, May 30-31
Paris, Canadian Pork Championships, June 6-8
Merlin, Aug 15-17

It’s in the area of the satellite events that the CBA is going through some changes, as it appears that we no longer have the active participation of our current association president. While this is a setback in many ways, it is the simple knowledge that we need to now forge ahead as a collective, rather than as an entity strongly spearheaded by one person, that will keep the satellite events alive and successful.

To that end, Darryl Koster, Harvey McKay and myself have ‘volunteered’ to ensure that the Ottawa event not only happens, but is a success. Input from any and all is welcome, we just happened to be the ones that have come forward up front. The ‘transparency’ that many sought with the CBA is now in place and we are more than willing to share ‘all we know’ as we unearth details about the satellite events and move forward in creating an Ontario Series we can be happy with and proud to be a part.

With that in mind, details for Ottawa (and Paris)…….

The organizers are looking forward to hosting this event Friday, May 30th and Saturday, May 31st. Set up will begin Friday morning, and there will be someone onsite to do meat inspection and help assist teams in finding spots and amenities such as hydro and water.

Entry fees remain as noted in the online application at canadianbarbecueassociation.com. These fees collected will constitute the core of the prize pool, so obviously, the more teams the greater the pool and payout. We will do our very best to identify and post a ‘guaranteed’ minimum for this event once we get a handle on expenses for trophies etc, as we know that Ottawa is a substantial drive for many teams and prize payout is/may be an issue. All we can ask is that at this point, the CBA/Ontario Series would really benefit greatly from participation of and by as many teams as possible. Solidarity of teams and passionate bbq’ers has never been more needed! Please come out and show your support if at all possible.

We do have an experienced head judge with organizational experience and skills poised to come out and take the bull by the horns and bring a strong element of stability to the CBA sanctioning and scoring end of this event, as well as knowledge and familiarity with the scoring program and in running a double-blind entry system.

There are a number of judging applications on-hand (it looks like about 2 dozen so far), so we hope to have a strong judging pool to draw from for Ottawa.

The Amateur event is to be held on the Saturday, concurrent with the pro event. In Paris, the Amateur event will be on the Sunday. The reason for the discrepancy is simply that Ottawa is a substantial drive for most of the teams that usually/do stay over to help out and no one wants to leave the Amateur event poorly attended or lacking in support from CBA members/personnel. It sounds like the Amateur committee has felt hamstrung in truly shaping these Amateur events. We’d like to see that change and hope that any/all Amateur Committee members can and will provide input for this important aspect of each satellite event.

Since this ad hoc group created to move the satellite events forward just came about this afternoon, we want to be certain that what we are posting here is reliable and solid, so perhaps there are particular areas of concern that we haven’t addressed yet. Let us just say that we welcome questions, queries and suggestions. If we don’t have the answer at-hand we will find it as quickly as possible.

I received an email the other day that mentioned a ‘weird vibe’ about the CBA at this time regarding the start of the Ontario Series events. There definitely has been much uncertainty about what has, and hasn’t, been put in motion for these events and who is doing what etc etc. All we can say is that we have a very passionate group within the CBA membership and we hope that passion for bbq and for competition cooking can see us through these rough times at the start of the season.

In 3 weeks we will gather in Ottawa for the Smoked to the Bone competition. We strongly urge all competition teams and interested amateurs to sign up for this weekend of events in a show of support of what we can accomplish if we all band together. For our part, we will hold no information back or keep anything but the utmost transparency in place regarding the plans and issues surrounding these satellite events.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Ottawa and keep watching for more details and info as we collect them.

Darryl Koster, Harvey McKay & Mike Kerslake
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

Schultz-Happy Grillmore

Post by Schultz-Happy Grillmore » Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 am

Well asid, Mike and thanks for the update. Happy Grillmore will be in Ottawa with bells on and beers in hand.

Schultz

Duncola
Pork Puller

Bravo!

Post by Duncola » Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 am

Thank you for the extensive update! It should help everyone to have a much clearer picture of the road ahead. :)

...And travelling down that road you have the support of The Q Crew with myself working on the Marketing Committee and my team mates and I cooking and promoting "the Art of The Q" at all the Comps along with our many sponsors.... 8)

...Hats off to the new "Head team" for stepping in.... :!: :!: :!: :!:
Thank you to our Generous 2008 Sponsors!
Napoleon Gourmet Grills
P&F Gourmet Meats
Great Charcoal
Two Tree Products - California
Battlefield Equipment Rentals
"The Cat Rental Store"- Canada
Bradley Smokers - Canada
and looking forward to 2009!

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Thu May 08, 2008 8:47 am

Great news that the 'hurry up and wait' is going to stop with the current President of the CBA . . . Too bad that advice was not heeded by others sooner

Especially since membership dues were submitted in good faith . . .

Wow, really brings back vivid memories of the 'society' which preceeded the CBA . . .

Closed doors with arrangements made by a chosen few . . . all roses and sunshine on the surface . . .

Event rules which, it would seem, began their essential transformation directly following the 'fuzzy and feel good' meeting in March in Guelph . . . in response to a 'roses and sunshine' email (copy following) as sent out by Harvey:

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 12:01 PM
Subject: Need Your Input

Ok gang, as you know there is a new steering committee for creating a Judging Certification class. As a volunteer on this committee I would like your input regarding our current judging criteria as it is now and any and all changes you believe would make it a more efficient and level system for all.

Please voice your opinions on Judging instructions, current CBA competition rules, should we follow KCBS rules, scoring, etc. etc.

New rules are coming, this is your chance...

Need your thoughts ASAP.

Thanks

Harvey McKay
BUBBA-Q

Interesting that this 'ad hoc' group has finally made itself evident to the rest of us . . .

Would like to see some information posted as to how teams/individuals may obtain receipt of monies paid in good faith for competition entry as well as for membership dues . . . to keep with the transparency theme . . .
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Scotty J
Runner

Post by Scotty J » Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 am

Adrienne

What kind of receipt would like for the Paris Event. When would you like the receipt, I can get one out to you before the event, or at the event.

Scotty J

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Thanks . . .

Post by Adrienne » Thu May 08, 2008 9:51 am

for the speedy reply, Scotty!
I'll PM you if there is something that you can do!
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dkoster » Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 am

Good morning Adrienne,

The receipts for the monies paid toward competitions would most likely come from the event organizers. I will discuss this with Dave Coulson today. Each satellite event is only sanctioned by the CBA, the monies paid for each event actually go to the organizers of the event proper (this pays prize monies, costs of running the events which are not cheap etc) and this is where I am uncertain of who would give you a receipt. As for receipts for membership I am positive they will be coming directly from the CBA, I will clarify with Dave regarding the memberships today (I don't see this being an issue at all).

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to post them here as I am sure there are others who have the same questions. We may not always have the answers, we will look into them though. If someone does have the answers and reads the questions I hope you take the time to post what you know.

We have had several people contact us off boards offering help and assistance as needed. Thank you very much, we are creating a list of members who have the time to commit as not one of us can do this full time. If you are interested in providing time or expertise for the summer months please send one of us an email or private message or even post to this forum. Since we are "jumping in" we really are not 100% sure how much help will be needed.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

QKing
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by QKing » Thu May 08, 2008 10:24 am

Good morning,
As part of your membership package, you'll receive an 8 1/2 x 11 CBA Certificate, laminated membership card and a welcome letter along with a receipt.
Receipts for competitions can be obtained at the event.

Thanks for your continued support of the CBA, we appreciate everyone's input and good luck to all teams!

Sincerely,
Dave Coulson
CBA Board

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

Gentlemen;

Please re-read the statement -

'as to how teams/individuals may obtain receipt of monies paid in good faith '

as opposed to your interpretation:

receipt for monies paid

Good of you to offer receipts, though. It would sae me one more step with my sponsors!

Michele
Gofor

Post by Michele » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

Darryl, Harvey, Scotty, Bro,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for saving the Ottawa event!

I was one of many that was getting the feeling that this year was not going to happen so when I read your posts on the forum this morning it was a huge relief. Thanks for keeping us all informed.

I am in the Toronto area so if there is anything at all that I can do to help support you guys, all you have to do is ask.

See you all in 3 weeks!
Michele
Homefires Burnin' BBQ

Smokin` Hot Chick
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks Boys!

As you know I am up to my elbows in the Barrie Event to ensure that it runs smoothly... and well on it's way... it's nice to see a step forward by those of you.

I would take it on myself but have a million things to prep for Barrie.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are all in good hands!

~Caiti~

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Thu May 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Adrienne wrote:Great news that the 'hurry up and wait' is going to stop with the current President of the CBA . . . Too bad that advice was not heeded by others sooner

Especially since membership dues were submitted in good faith . . .

Wow, really brings back vivid memories of the 'society' which preceeded the CBA . . .

Closed doors with arrangements made by a chosen few . . . all roses and sunshine on the surface . . .

Event rules which, it would seem, began their essential transformation directly following the 'fuzzy and feel good' meeting in March in Guelph . . . in response to a 'roses and sunshine' email (copy following) as sent out by Harvey:

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 12:01 PM
Subject: Need Your Input

Ok gang, as you know there is a new steering committee for creating a Judging Certification class. As a volunteer on this committee I would like your input regarding our current judging criteria as it is now and any and all changes you believe would make it a more efficient and level system for all.

Please voice your opinions on Judging instructions, current CBA competition rules, should we follow KCBS rules, scoring, etc. etc.

New rules are coming, this is your chance...

Need your thoughts ASAP.

Thanks

Harvey McKay
BUBBA-Q

Interesting that this 'ad hoc' group has finally made itself evident to the rest of us . . .

Would like to see some information posted as to how teams/individuals may obtain receipt of monies paid in good faith for competition entry as well as for membership dues . . . to keep with the transparency theme . . .

After reading and rereading your post I think you are happy and sad at the same time, right? Looks like there's a shot in there against me but I can't quite tell for what or why. But hey, everyone is welcome to post their opinions...

Also to Dave and Scotty, I think the "receipt of for" thing is a request for a refund, I think.

Thanks for your comments.

Special Thanks to all who called, pm'd, and emailed with words of "Thanks" and offers of help! Here is to a great season!
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Harvey;

Thank you for the 'reply' post.

I have not 'taken a shot at you' - not my style. In the event that I were tempted to proceed in that fashion, on a public forum, I believe that it would have been plainly obvious, as opposed to something which needed to be guessed at or pondered over. At the very least, the very kind folks who give my team their hard earned cash to sponsor our endeavous in the world of BBQ, often visit this forum, so I would like to present an impression slightly closer to the top shelf on my part.

The comment about 'receipt of monies paid' does, in fact, indicate a question regarding return of monies paid. The statement as it was perceived would indicate that we were requesting receipts for the payment. As I believe I also indicated, receipts for payment made by competitors to whomever as payment to participate in Canadian competitions would save me having to complete receipts for our sponsors.

As far as being happy and sad at the same time? - I think totally confused is a more appropriate statement. Grandious changes to the top end of a 'society' to which many of us, including myself, have made a financial investment; a society which is now to be delegated by a self appointed person, from whom there was no expression of intent of any fashion to the 'society'; no request for support of any kind from the members of the 'society' in advance of his self appointment; without even discussing the plan of action with what remains of the 'executive'.

A change is needed. The change made behind closed doors, then thrust upon the 'membership' who is not presented with an option, is not.

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Adrienne. Glad you took the high road on this one!

OK Gang, the newest update for Ottawa is that the Head Judge will be onsite by noon on Friday for meat inspections.

Lost your email Gary, can ya give me a call please.

See you all soon!

Harvey
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Thu May 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Who is the head judge.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan