Newbie questions about Barrie

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Christopher
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Newbie questions about Barrie

Post by Christopher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:52 am

Hi all I have a few questions about the Barrie competition.

1. How are turn in boxes different from other comps. Looking at the rules, it seems there are 4 boxes with sides being turned in for every main category, and two stay with us for on site judging? Am I interpreting this right? Are boxes still lined with green leaf lettuce? I'm thinking that there needs to be enough sides for 24 turn in boxes, am I totally wrong?

2. How does on site judging work?

3. Chicken needs to be cooked whole and then can be split? What is the purpose of that?

4. We aren't expected to compete in the sauce, anything butt, or dessert categories are we? Can we pick and choose if we'd like to enter one or two?

5. Sauce entries have to be prepared on site, correct?

Could someone take a few minutes and outline how the days should run?

I was prepared for turning in 4 boxes total, it seems to me that this is so much more complicated. Maybe I'm just making it more complicated for myself...

Swines&Bovines
Pork Puller

Post by Swines&Bovines » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Chris,

You are on the right track. In each of the 4 categories you will turn in 4 styrofoam boxes - each will have a complete meal - the meat obviously, as well as your side dishes that you are serving with the meat entry. Everything has to fit inside the box. Then, 20 minutes later, 2 onsite judges will show up at your site. You will feed them the exact same meal that you just turned in in your styrofoam boxes. The only differenc is it will be plated and you will be serving drinks along with the meal. In the past there were always 2 main categories per day - I haven't even looked at this years schedule yet, but last year pork and brisket were Saturday, ribs and chicken were Sunday and sauce, dessert and anything but were split up amongst the 2 days. You don't have to do the 3 optional categories and you can chose to do 1, 2 or all 3 if you'd like. they follow the same procedure as the meats except that last year the anything but and dessert could be served on a platter, plates or whatever, they didn't have to go in a styrofoam box - again, this is last year, so make sure you check this years rules. The onsite judging is pretty simple - 2 people will come to your 'restaurant' where you will serve their meal, explain it, give them drinks and fill them with as much BS as you can about why your BBQ is the best. The whole chicken cooking? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'd think it's so that we are all cooking the same cut. The sauce is a good question - I know a lot of teams crack open their bottle of commercial sauce - not sure if that has to be done on site though or if the bottle can be opened at home. :wink:

Good luck Chris!
Jason
S&B Southern BBQ & Catering Co.

Proud to partner with...
Buster Rhino's Sauce and Rubs
Conestoga Meats
Central Fresh Market
Duraflame Charcoal
Precent Technologies
Breslau Restaurant Supplies
CancerSucksChicago.com

BBQcure
Runner

Post by BBQcure » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 am

Chris

for sauce

they will give you 4 small white containers to hand into the judges, that is it. after you hand into the judges about 10 minutes later two onsite judges will show up to your area. you need to have a sitting area for them. they will come in and sit down. you can offer them any drink you want (water, wine, beer, lemonade etc). you then bring out your sauce in two portions, one for each judge. you then need to come up with some sort of bread or breads cut up for the judges to dip into your sauce and judge from there. you do not need any bread for the four turn in boxes as it is provided in the judging tent.

I can not remember if you can use anything else but bread, can you use crackers or a meat product for dipping, I can not remember.

the on site judges will then leave sometime between 10:30 and 10:45am on Saturday. you will then have to clean up the judging area and get ready for the next turn in

Brisket 12:00 pm

you will get 4 styrofoam containers to put you brisket, sides and whatever else you want to put in there. there is no limits on garnish.or sides. Only thing is that anything in the box must be edible. no toothpicks etc. you will then hand in the four boxes at the turn in time. about ten minutes later the judges will show up. you will then offer them a drink and serve them your food. these two can go on a normal plate, fine china or whatever you want. you do not have to serve them with styrofoam box. you can if you want but most people will have proper dishes, glasses and cutlery for the on site judges. they will eat and you can either talk to them, leave them alone or do whatever you want. again, they will score your entry eat most of it and move on. this gets repeated for pork shoulder and then for dessert.

the only thing different for dessert and anything butt is that you can turn in your food on whatever you want. sky is the limits. if you need four turkey platters to hold your banana split, so be it. the only thing again is all food at turn in and on site that is presented must be edible.

So for the four main categories you will turn in 4 styrofoam containers to the offsite judges and have two plates ready when the onsite judges show up.

for dessert and anything butt you will turn in on whatever you want 4 servings and have two ready for onsite judges.

Also you can pool sauces on the desserts and anything butt but not on the four main catagories.

you need to bring enough people to help out as it is the fastest two hours between turn in that you could imagine

good luck

Qfan
Pork Puller

Post by Qfan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 am

1. How are turn in boxes different from other comps. Looking at the rules, it seems there are 4 boxes with sides being turned in for every main category, and two stay with us for on site judging? Am I interpreting this right? Are boxes still lined with green leaf lettuce? I'm thinking that there needs to be enough sides for 24 turn in boxes, am I totally wrong?
For each category you turn in 4 identically prepared boxes consisting of main meat and side dishes (9X9" styrofoam, same as in most contests). These are your 'blind entries' in any given category. Approximately 10-15 minutes later, 2 onsite judges will arrive at your site. You will serve each of them a plate/platter/tray whatever you wish to use (from china to Chinnette, whatever you want to use) of the same presentation that went to the blind judges. You can accompany this with wine/beer etc. So, for each of the 4 main meat categories (chicken, ribs, shoulder and brisket) be prepared to submit 4 blind styrofoam trays on the appointed hour, and then also be prepared to do the same arrangement, on any serving plate you choose, to two onsite judges approx 10-15 minutes later. That's 6 submissions, 4 blind, 2 onsite, for each category.

2. How does on site judging work?
As touched on above, the meat and sides are same as with the blind box. You are expected to keep the plate looking close to same as what was in the blind trays. Some allowance is given for more room on a plate versus the styrofoam box, but the idea is that it a similar representation of what went in the blind box(es).
Most folks welcome the onsite judges, show them their cookers, explain what/how they cooked the category they are about to (hopefully) enjoy and then seat them and offer a beverage (wine, beer, water etc). The dish is presented to the judges, sometimes with much fanfare and other teams prefer to let the dish do the talking; your choice. I believe judges are encouraged not to stay more than 30 minutes onsite, beyond that, it's pretty open as to what you say and how long they stay. They will excuse themselves when finished, and will complete their scoring as/when they leave your site.

3. Chicken needs to be cooked whole and then can be split? What is the purpose of that?
Yes, chicken needs to be cooked whole. It can be parted for serving, but portions cannot go back on the cooker(s) once whole bird is removed from heat. The reason for this is that this is a test of the cook's ability to cook an entire bird with all submitted portions being fully cooked to proper/desired temp in 'one shot'. This ruling is in lines with the European background on this type of World BBQ competition. So if you just want to turn in breast, just turn in breast, but it must come off a chicken that was cooked in its entirety.

4. We aren't expected to compete in the sauce, anything butt, or dessert categories are we? Can we pick and choose if we'd like to enter one or two?
Teams are 'encouraged' to cook in all the categories, but only the 4 main meat categories (chicken, ribs, pork shoulder and brisket) count towards determining the Grand Champion. Yes, you may choose any number of categories to enter above and beyond the main 4 and not affect your Grand Champion eligibility, so long as you've cooked the main 4.

5. Sauce entries have to be prepared on site, correct?
It's my understanding that you can bring your sauce with you, so long as it 'mostly' of your own creation. In other words, use Kraft original as your 'base' and go from there and you are fine, but just crack a fresh bottle and pour it into the container and you are outside the spirit of this side category.
For the onsite of the sauce category, you can provide an appropriate meat to showcase the sauce, but for the blind entries you will send it in 'naked' and it will tasted accompanied only by white bread. Don't ask me why. I've yet to create a great sauce for bbq bread.....

Could someone take a few minutes and outline how the days should run?
Not quite sure what you mean, but the daily itinerary of turn-ins for the various categories are posted on the CBA site and application form. If you're after more info on 'how days should run' try rephrasing that one cuz I'm not sure what you mean....

I was prepared for turning in 4 boxes total, it seems to me that this is so much more complicated. Maybe I'm just making it more complicated for myself...
If you are just doing the 4 main categories you will turn in the following:
16 blind boxes (4 boxes X 4 categories)
8 onsite plates, (2 plates X 4 categories)
Yes, it is a taxing contest to get your head wrapped around logistically. It is Canada's largest bbq payday and they definitely make you work for the $! Believe me, it's difficult, but it's a challenge that is alot of fun to try to wrestle into submission.
More questions? Fire away!
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:51 am

Wow! I am impressed by the speed and quality of the responses, thank you all so much! I knew I could count on you guys. :D

roastntoast
Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 am

For the "anything But " and "Desset" category . We can hand it in on anything we want. Do we get it back after or is it See you By By for your plater or dish ??

Thnaks Jules

BBQcure
Runner

Post by BBQcure » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am

you go pick it up after all the judging is complete for the day.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 pm

pressuretreatedsmoker wrote:there is no limits on garnish
You may use any edible item that you'd like to use for garnish, however, the item must not be 'sculpted', ie no radish pigs, no tomato roses, etc. Anything else, is ok.

Just thought you should know!
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

bbqD
Chicken Choker

Post by bbqD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Adrienne is that a new rule? Never heard of that before
Darrin
The BBQ Effect
www.thebbqeffect.com

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm

bbqD wrote:Adrienne is that a new rule? Never heard of that before
Please, tell me that you're kidding.
The 'no sculpting' rule has always been in place, but, like so may other rules, was not enforced.
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

Swines&Bovines
Pork Puller

Post by Swines&Bovines » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Me too. This one needs clarification before every box I turn in gets DQ'd. We had tons of sculpted stuff in our boxes last year. "Garnish and side dishes are left to the creativity of each team." Are we going to be allowed to be as creative as possible?
Jason

Proud to partner with...
Conestoga Meats
Central Fresh Market
Duraflame Charcoal
Precent Technologies
CancerSucksChicago.com

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Scotty is going to address this when he gets back from his meeting today with Dave Coulson.

I think there is a very fine line between creativity and sculpting
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Swines&Bovines
Pork Puller

Post by Swines&Bovines » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Here we go with another rant about marking... I'll be turning in a 1/2 rack of ribs with a side of chili in a bread bowl and a cornbread muffin - everybody knows now what my box will look like - why does it matter if I have a tomato rose in there? That's giving something away? Are the onsite judges wearing blindfolds? This is just getting ridiculous. NOWHERE in the rules does it state anything aside from "Garnish and side dishes are left to the creativity of each team." To me that means if you want to sculpt a scene from The Jungle Book out of avocados and put it in your 9x9 box - it's legal - what other interpretation can there be for that rule as it's stated??? The rule has been, if it's edible it can go in the box - no bowls, toothpicks etc. but anything edible is a go.
Jason

Proud to partner with...
Conestoga Meats
Central Fresh Market
Duraflame Charcoal
Precent Technologies
CancerSucksChicago.com

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Swines&Bovines wrote:Here we go with another rant about marking...
Good luck with that combo, Jason! - sounds yummy!

I have just reread the rules for 2008, and I do apologize.
My comment above was made from information gained following conversations with key individuals, and my recollection of the rules from previous Canadian Open competitions.
I do not see 'no sculpting' in the 2008 rules, as it used to be and am therefore forced to assume that it was deemed not necessary by the creators of the new set of rules, most likely since it was never enforced in the past.

Oh, and as for a 'rant about marking', if you want to arrange each entry with the same 'garnish' placed in the upper right corner of each box, and the same 'sculpted garnish' placed in the same location in each box, and not call that marking, go ahead. I am going on past knowledge, as opposed to against the rules for this year - so it may be acceptable.

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

This is an interesting thread and I am sure that what went on in the past will be changed. There are a lot of things that have been put into boxes that would be considered sculpting or marking...

Where it ends, we will have to wait to see what our new head judge decides is in and what is out. I remember a couple years ago a team used a cut tortilla as a base for their box.. I think this would be considered as marking if I am not mistake..

I agree, where will all this end as it is an Open even with creativity encouraged. There has to be leeway granted or it will become a "restaurant take out box" competition.