Barrie updates

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Scotty J
Runner

Barrie updates

Post by Scotty J » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Hello Follow BBQer’s

Ok I have had time to go over all the questions ask with Dave and his Crew in Barrie.

1. The Question was asked about getting the same spots as last year or the year before.
Sorry spots have been assigned already.

2. The Question was asked about warming ovens. Here’s what the rule reads.

Rule #6. Teams may cook with all types of cookers and all fuel sources are accepted including any type of wood, charcoal, gas, or propane. Propane tanks must meet current safety standards. Flammables may be used outside and away from the cooker to make additional coals. Electrical devices may be used within the cooker as long as they do not directly generate heat for cooking purposes. Approved devices include rotisseries, fans & delivery systems for approved fuels. Electric smokers, holding ovens, containers, or any devices with heat producing electrical coils are not allowed. All approved cooking appliances must be intended for outdoor cooking and must meet current safety regulations.

Any Holding ovens that not met this rule can be inspected for approval from myself on site.

3. The Question was asked about sleeping over night on site with camping tents. Now this is from the City of Barrie (not us)

Further to your request of June 16, 2008, an exemption is hearby granted to the competitors of the Barrie Brews & BBQ Festival from the provisions of The City of Barrie By-law 88-260, as amended, Section 4.8.2.12.0 to permit overnight sleeping at their competition site in Centennial Park July4th to 6th, 2008. As outlined in our request that all sleeping tents will be taken down each morning by 7:30am.

4. The Question was asked about drinking on site.
Here’s what the rule reads

Rule #5. No alcoholic beverages will be given to the public. No gifts of any type given to judges. There will be no use of any controlled substances in the cook site area. There will be no use of unacceptable language. Noise by-laws prohibit excessive noise of any manner after 11:00 pm and until 7:00 am. Teams are subject to disqualification for violation of any of these rules.

Now from the City of Barrie Request that all Alcoholic Beverages MUST be in a non clear cup of some sort at all times and only on the team sites. The City of Barrie is very understanding of the Judging part, that the teams can use normal glasses of the team’s choice for judging only. But all bottles have to be taken away or hidden away.

Teams are subject to disqualification for violation of any of these rules.

5. The Question was asked about garbage. Here’s what the rule reads.

Rule #3. Teams will keep their sites clean during the competition. All sites must be cleaned up at the end of the competition and before leaving the site. This includes removing all trash. Sites will be inspected prior to departure and the team will receive their clean up deposit refund ($50) at that time.

So if you have a broken tent or a broken chair or any garbage that doesn’t fit in the normal garbage cans there are big bins on site to put that stuff in.

The $50 refund will not be refunded if team violates this rule.

6. The Question was asked about Marking? Any marking will be DQ’ed

So if you are planning on making a big batch of Coleslaw and putting it in some Red Bell Peppers for every dish or if you planning the have your loaf of bread with your butter in every dish or you are planning to have Two Grill Shrimps in the top right corner of every box for every dish, or if you are planning to have twice baked potatoes for every dish or if you are planning to have chocolate dip strawberries in every box for every dish.

We will consider that marking.

If you are planning to make the same side dishes for a lot of your dishes, Make sure you are creative with how put the side dishes in the Boxes.

7. The Question was asked about Garnishes? It is left open!
But please don’t make anything that marks your team, like an Igloo out of a Potato or a Pig and a Cow out of some carrots and radishes, or a hockey player with grill out of sweet potato and some celery. I think you get the point.

Thanks

Scotty J

Diva Q
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Diva Q » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Scotty,

Are we allowed to load in on Thursday?

We did this last year and there was on site security for our equipment.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

T-boar
Gofor

Post by T-boar » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Scotty

Thanks for the clarification..
Tibor G. Haasz

Scotty J
Runner

Post by Scotty J » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 pm

About loading up or getting there Thursday night. I know I am trying to be there sometime Thursday night myself.

So I will be there early Friday morning.

Now I have found out that there is NO security Thursday night.

Dave and some of his Crew will be there Thursday night, Setting stuff up.
Dave will have a map of where all the teams are going.

So it's up to you.

Scotty J

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks!

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Earl
"The Gentleman of BBQ"

Post by Earl » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:15 am

Diva, i think they should allow this because it would save us loads of hassles Fri & also seeing as your driving that far.LOL

:lol: :lol:
Earl

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:45 am

LOL But you all know I have no luck with tents.

Actually Dave Coulson sent me a n email stating they are ony allowing event tents to set up Thursday. No teams.

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Scotty J
Runner

Post by Scotty J » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 am

Hello Everyone

I have some questions about the anything Butt Cat. for Barrie.

You can do anything Butt the four cuts of Main Meats.

So because you have to cook a whole chicken, all chicken is off limits.

For Pork you could cook a stuff Pork lion or stuff Pork chops or etc.
For Beef you could cook Steak, Beef Roast or Prime Rib or etc.

You can't cook Pork Shoulder or Pork Ribs, everything else is open.
You can't cook Beef Brisket.
You can't cook any chicken for the anything butt, cat.

Any seafood is ok, any poultry is ok (but chicken).

I think everyone gets the point.

If you have questions just e-mail me or PM me, I will keep it piravte what you are asking and cooking.

By the way I should be in Barrie thursday night sometime, So I will be on site about 8 am Friday morning for anyone asking for meat inspection.

Take Care see you friday.

Scotty J

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Looking forward to seeing you again Scotty... You got a lot of work ahead of ya so rest up dude. :wink: