Niagara Falls Best of the Best Comp

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

atruckerswife
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 5

Niagara Falls Best of the Best Comp

Post by atruckerswife » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Danielle just called, we lost the conection, but after some problems she had with the cookers this weekend she did say that she won GC, with BBQ Effect as RG
Louisa

"Some days are blonder then others"

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Will type tomorrow…..tired tonight…Congrats to all those that competed and got calls…Image
So many calls for my Canadian friends....
I get more sauced than my ribs.

atruckerswife
Chicken Choker

Post by atruckerswife » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Glad your home safely Dave, although it was quite an easy drive for you, :lol:
Louisa

"Some days are blonder then others"

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Just got back from there myself (judging is very demanding work) and I got to congratulate Danielle personally ... she's a great hugger too!

They're going to Georgia ... Woo Hoo!!!!
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:17 pm

atruckerswife wrote:Glad your home safely Dave, although it was quite an easy drive for you, :lol:
Not so easy..when you get now sleepie :lol:

5aces
Gofor

Judging

Post by 5aces » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54 pm

Judging was taxing due to the scoring system having increments of 6.0-10.
Made for a tight race with only two points between first and second.
Squeezy,you must have been just ahead of me at Canadian customs as the customs officer asked me who won when I said I had been judging at the FOE International BBQ(of course I knew the answer)then informed me another judge had already been through...(she was impressed a Canadian team took top honors)
All the best to Diva-Q in Douglas,Georgia.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15853790@N ... 1826/show/
Last edited by 5aces on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Well just got home.

This weekend was a challenge for us to say the least. lets just say that everything that could go wrong did (other than losing a tent) including me dropping my water pan on my charcoal and putting it completely out and ashes flying everywhere. Then realizing that I didn't have the bottom grates to cook on (left them in the garage) Many thanks to Tim from Can't stop grillin for taking his meat off just to give me grates to cook on. It just sort of snowballed from there. Additionally this was my first time doing a no garnish monster turn in box competition. I cannot believe how big the turn in boxes were. :shock: We also dearly missed our teammates Louisa and John.

Many many congrats to all of the Canadian teams (WOOHOO to the BBQ effect, Smokin in the Igloo, Can't stop Grilling, The black Pig) and our Northern states BBQ friends (Swine Syndicate, Uncle Bubba) Every Canadian team got a call and that was just cool. The organizers also played the Canadian Anthem. That was lovely to hear.

On Friday The Swine Syndicate also provided us an incredible lunch of grilled flatbread chicken fresh tomatoes and their own homemade mayo with dill and spices. It was delicious. Then today we had some wicked good pulled pork (Sammie was with coleslaw too!) kindly provided by the Black Pig BBQ team- yummy!~!

A HUGE thankyou to Rambo who helped us figure out how to fix our trailer lights and get the running lights and the brake lights working so we could drive home safely tonight.

Thanks also to Adrienne who has been doing her utmost to help me get my chicken improved before the Jack. I truly appreciate your efforts.

For a first year event it was decent. My only concern would be water it was really really far away. However they were very hospitable to all the teams-doing their best and already planning for next year to be bigger and better I wish them all the best.

I amsure I am forgetting somethin but I am too tired to stay up I need sleep.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Squeezy
Gofor

Re: Judging

Post by Squeezy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 am

5aces wrote:Judging was taxing due to the scoring system having increments of 6.0-10.
Made for a tight race with only two points between first and second.
Squeezy,you must have been just ahead of me at Canadian customs as the customs officer asked me who won when I said I had been judging at the FOE International BBQ(of course I knew the answer)then informed me another judge had already been through...(she was impressed a Canadian team took top honors)
All the best to Diva-Q in Douglas,Georgia.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15853790@N ... 1826/show/
That is so cool ... what are the odds of going through the same customs agent? Sure makes the border crossing a lot more tolerable when you can share a story like that.
OMG ... I saw my profile and the back of my head in 2 of your pix .....
2 ECBs
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 am

Diva....Vlado will be hauling your water at the Jack as well...they only have one faucet there and last year the lectric was kind of undependable..if memory serves.

Squeezy
Gofor

More pix

Post by Squeezy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:36 am

Here are the pix I found time to take ... sorry, I didn't get any of the award presentations.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u179 ... mp%202008/
2 ECBs
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:20 am

For the most part it was a great weekend….I know the organizers worked real hard to get this thing rolling. Especially Honcho he was the driving force for this event.
It’s always nice to see my Canadian friends and chat. The BBQ Effect were great neighbors…except when I had to make Darrin give back the Dino Diva brought for the boys :lol: ……I think the Zen Effect spread out over to my side because I was pretty relaxed most of the weekend….Congrats on your RGC boys and your many calls. We weren’t’ give a complete break down on the scores just the team scores so I don’t know who got called for what but the Canadian teams were flying to the stage for calls…Congrats to all.
Diva and Vlado congrats again…I know how hard you guys work and its great to see that its paying off. Just remind me to bring earplugs to Oink…cause that scream just :shock: :lol: …I happy you guys enjoyed lunch…just save me a piece of dessert at Oink..we missed out on the 180 dessert last year. Its always nice to visit with you guys. Vlad thanks for giving me a hand loading up Buford…you saved me there…With all this winnings I think Diva she let you get the grill you really want :wink: 8) …..The boys really dug the dinos…thanks again.
Its always nice to hang with the Igloo crew and share a few pints…the boys love going over and hanging with your bottle washer…If they get underfoot just send them on there way. We’ll see you guys at Oink and you know the door here is always open..if you are around just give us a ring.
Tim it was nice meeting you I wish we would have had more time to chat…When you stopped by I had only been trying to get those ribs prepped since 3 pm…Thanks for the syrup we love good maple syrup as Diva knows…the boys are pretty discriminate when it come to what they put on there pancakes.
It was nice meeting the Black Pig BBQ team and chatting again I wish we had more time to chat about cured meats and such…you guys should really look into doing Oink if you do and are in town early let me know hopefully we can get together and I’ll show you the smokehouse. If I missed anyone or anything I apologize..I’m still very tired and boy are my legs sore. So is something else but we won’t get into that…
The highlight was when one of my boys was going to stay up all night cooking with Dad….he was in that chair for about 5 min…and out like a light…..I don’t know if its was because he was tired or if it was because he just came back from a visit with the Igloo crew…. b5a :wink:

SmokedLettuce
Beer Wench

Post by SmokedLettuce » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:11 pm

This was a fun competition.
Congrats to Diva Q and thanks for dinner on Friday, it was great.
~~~Mike D.~~~

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

CONGRATS

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Congrats to all the teams that saw, that went, that won. I was glad to hear that you all had a great time for the most part and did well. Glad to hear that you all made it home safely also. Once again CONGRATS TO ALL THE TEAMS. b3 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Congrats to team Diva Q and all the rest of the Canucks who were called. I think the folks in Tennessee will know where Canada is by now for sure.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

DigDug
Gofor

Post by DigDug » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:27 pm

May I add my congrats as well. Many thanks to Diva Q and Smokin in the Igloo for your hospitality on Saturday.As usual you are all fantastic hosts and great competitors. See you all at the Oink.
Doug
Aurora
KCBS
NEBS