Ontario Contests

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

Dkoster
The middle number please (3):3

Post by Dkoster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Don't forget there is already a competition in planning (as in we will be giving out registration forms in the next week) for the same weekend in July which is the great canadian steak cookoff and bbq competition in Whitby. We already have the towns approval and health department approval including the ability for the teams to sample food to the public.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

Headpiggy
Beer Wench

Post by Headpiggy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:40 pm

I am interested in finding information out about the event in Barrie. First I am confused as to what I read at the website. From my understanding of the rules for this event it says that you turn in sides with the meat? is that correct or am I reading this wrong. Typically I have seen the meat turned in with garnish only. If it is turned in with sides does that score count for the meat as well? Also it seems that their are two canadian championships or is it that this event is sanctioned by the CBA? Hopefully someone can help me out. I would like to attend this event if in fact it is going to take place July 10 weekend.

Bubba-Q
The middle number please (3):5

Post by Bubba-Q » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 am

Headpiggy wrote:I am interested in finding information out about the event in Barrie. First I am confused as to what I read at the website. From my understanding of the rules for this event it says that you turn in sides with the meat? is that correct or am I reading this wrong. Typically I have seen the meat turned in with garnish only. If it is turned in with sides does that score count for the meat as well? Also it seems that their are two canadian championships or is it that this event is sanctioned by the CBA? Hopefully someone can help me out. I would like to attend this event if in fact it is going to take place July 10 weekend.

Yes it includes sides. This contest is similar to the MIM contest. Here is a link to last year rules http://canadianbarbecueassociation.com/ ... 8rules.pdf

Again, Welcome!
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Peter
Location:Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 am

Iamarealbigdog wrote:Where, perhaps Temagami?

I see North Bay, I cen even see Sudbury or the Sault, I would even hear the argument for Thunder Bay (after all it's only 16 hours). I guess if you put on a large enough venue they will come, just look at Cabela's. They are all located in small towns outside large metropolitan bases and people still manage to find a way out there.

Peter, it is one of my goals to bring to the CBA more diversified competitions outside of the Golden horseshoe.

PM me with some details and I will bring up your proposal.

Cheers
Actually Earlton, ON. The event would be part of the International Plowing Match Sept 22 - 26th. This annual event has never been held north of Orillia before. 60,000 visitors are expected, 100 acres of vendor displays, a serviced RV city, daily excursion train from North Bay, music ...... the whole 9 yards.
I would like to get an idea for the organizers of the number of teams interested in making the trek north. Its 500 km from Toronto or Ottawa.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Headpiggy
Beer Wench

Post by Headpiggy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 am

Bubba-Q wrote:
Headpiggy wrote:I am interested in finding information out about the event in Barrie. First I am confused as to what I read at the website. From my understanding of the rules for this event it says that you turn in sides with the meat? is that correct or am I reading this wrong. Typically I have seen the meat turned in with garnish only. If it is turned in with sides does that score count for the meat as well? Also it seems that their are two canadian championships or is it that this event is sanctioned by the CBA? Hopefully someone can help me out. I would like to attend this event if in fact it is going to take place July 10 weekend.

Yes it includes sides. This contest is similar to the MIM contest. Here is a link to last year rules http://canadianbarbecueassociation.com/ ... 8rules.pdf

Again, Welcome!
So how does it work for the scoring. 50% on meat and 50% on sides. I guess this is where it would be important to have a chef to do the sides up while you concentrate on cooking the meat. That is to bad as I don't think you could do this comp without a few people and it is to far to travel for many people when you have to bring a whole group. It must make it hard for the winner if they go to the jack or the royal and don't get scoring points for their sides.

Headpiggy
Beer Wench

Post by Headpiggy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:09 am

[quote="Bubba-Q]

Again, Welcome![/quote]

Wholly mackeral I just read the rules and you can cook with gas or propane? do many teams use that? does the winner of this get an invite to the Jack?

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:32 am

Headpiggy wrote:[quote="Bubba-Q]

Again, Welcome!
Headpiggy wrote: Wholly mackeral I just read the rules and you can cook with gas or propane? do many teams use that? does the winner of this get an invite to the Jack?
[/quote]

Pretty much the only gas used that I have seen, though I could be wrong, was gas grills which are great if you need some quick heat or grill marks. A walk down the row of teams will reveal just about every kind of smoker you can imagine from large custom built units to backyard smokers like the ProBBQ/WSM bullet smokers and everything in between. Some of our past Champions have scored well at the Jack and I got to tell you they know their stuff to be able to score well at that competition.

As for needing a chef to prepare the sides.. I think again, if you were to look at the teams that score well through the years, they make their own sides and do all the work. We have had several teams competing that are made up of papered chefs.. Let me just say, I did not see them on stage much and if I am correct, our friend Kurt from Belgium and Mike from Liason were the only ones that I recall.

Being a national championship is what makes it a qualifier for the Jack. It does not matter that sides were included in the comp. The Open is still about the meat and I think "most" judges still score great meat well. Having been a competitor as well as a judge at the Open a couple three times, I can tell you it is hard to score well with average BBQ in the box no matter what side of the table your sitting on...

Headpiggy
Beer Wench

Post by Headpiggy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Is this a national championship? As far as I now the Canadian National BBQ Championship is held in Whistler, BC. The whistler comp was started in 1990 by David Veljacic's and the first sponsor for that was Jack Daniel's of Canada. As far as I can tell the Barrie event was started in 2003. So I am very puzzled as to how a country can have 2 national championships. Was the Barrie event called the Canadian Open BBQ championship because it is sanctioned by the CBA? Any light you can shed on this would be great

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Headpiggy wrote:Is this a national championship? As far as I now the Canadian National BBQ Championship is held in Whistler, BC. The whistler comp was started in 1990 by David Veljacic's and the first sponsor for that was Jack Daniel's of Canada. As far as I can tell the Barrie event was started in 2003. So I am very puzzled as to how a country can have 2 national championships. Was the Barrie event called the Canadian Open BBQ championship because it is sanctioned by the CBA? Any light you can shed on this would be great
I dont know, but I am sure there are those there that are way more knowledgeable about the details than I am and can fill you in.

bbqD
Chicken Choker

Post by bbqD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm

The same way there can be 10-20 state bbq championships in Kansas( maybe more-that's just a guess). Or the World Series be the world series without having any teams outside of US and Canada. Not taking away from any teams that have one either Canadian Championship, both are big comps to win for sure.
Darrin
The BBQ Effect
www.thebbqeffect.com

impailer
Runner

Post by impailer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Peter wrote: Actually Earlton, ON. The event would be part of the International Plowing Match Sept 22 - 26th. This annual event has never been held north of Orillia before. 60,000 visitors are expected, 100 acres of vendor displays, a serviced RV city, daily excursion train from North Bay, music ...... the whole 9 yards.
I would like to get an idea for the organizers of the number of teams interested in making the trek north. Its 500 km from Toronto or Ottawa.
This is the same weekend as the Oinktoberfest comp in Clarence, NY, just outside of Buffalo. You will have a hard time getting people to drive north instead, unless you can offer more prize money than Oink - usually around $10k for the KCBS comp.
Fire Master
Diva Q Competitive BBQ Team
http://www.divaq.ca

Partnered with:
http://www.TraegerCanada.com - http://www.HoveysGourmetMeats.ca - http://www.BasquesCharcoal.com - http://www.bigrockbeer.com - Novelis (Alcan Foil Products)

Peter
Location:Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Re:

Post by Peter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:57 pm

impailer wrote:
Peter wrote: Actually Earlton, ON. The event would be part of the International Plowing Match Sept 22 - 26th. This annual event has never been held north of Orillia before. 60,000 visitors are expected, 100 acres of vendor displays, a serviced RV city, daily excursion train from North Bay, music ...... the whole 9 yards.
This is the same weekend as the Oinktoberfest comp in Clarence, NY, just outside of Buffalo. You will have a hard time getting people to drive north instead, unless you can offer more prize money than Oink - usually around $10k for the KCBS comp.
Thanks for that. I didn't realize there was already a conflict. Maybe that will be enough to end the dialogue before it really gets underway. Stay tuned.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Porky
Chicken Choker

Re: Interesting

Post by Porky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Iamarealbigdog wrote:
Hippieforever99 wrote:That was an interesting statement there Dog. Since you said the Golden Horseshoe, does that mean Niagara Region is getting a comp this summer? The Golden Horseshoe to my understanding is Niagara Region, Hamilton, Burlington area. It sure would be nice to see a comp close to home for a change. :) 8) Hippie
Sorry buddy you read that wrong or reading too much into it. While I would welcome any new competition close to home, what I’m getting at is, it would be nice if we could develop the rest of the province.

It’s easy for us to travel one or two hours, (yes I know Ottawa is a 6 hr drive) but up Northern Ontario, it would have it's work cut out for it, doable, but tough for the whole crew to head up...

Right now "the whole crew" is too small, focus needs to be on drawing as many people as we can from EVERY area.
It's great that we have people from all across Ontario, but we need more. Iamarealbigdog, hit the nail on the head we need to draw from everywhere.
that's not my tan, it's bark.

www.brantfordbarbecue.com

teacup13
Gofor

Re: Ontario Contests

Post by teacup13 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 am

how does a person find out if there are any comps or any interest in comps in northern ontario? i would be interested in even a get together and having a friendly comp...

thanks
Jeff

scotty to hotty
knows what a "fatty" is

Re: Ontario Contests

Post by scotty to hotty » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

Do you have any entry forms for Paris Scotty and judges forms where can I find them Scotty b2