Amateur event July 18- Niagara falls area

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

Porky
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3):5
Amateur event July 18- Niagara falls area

Post by Porky » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am

Well the date has been finalized, to avoid conflict with the Whitby event we moved it to the July 18th.
The location will be Sherkston shores campground, with beer and food sales to the general public. We have live entertainment throughout the day, a Bon Jovi tribute band at night, access to pools and beach, and a very large fireworks display at the end of it all.
Yes, the food will be BBQ.

b6
that's not my tan, it's bark.

www.brantfordbarbecue.com

Diva Q

Re: Amateur event July 18- Niagara falls area

Post by Diva Q » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 am

We plan on attending this with Traeger. Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Aaron
Chicken Choker

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 am

Thats conflicting with the Listowel date.If I understand correctly Listowel will be both pro and amateur.
Aaron

Porkcasso
Gofor

Post by Porkcasso » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 pm

Is there going to be an amateur division at Sherkston?
Sean
Porkcasso-The Art of Barbecue

Porkcasso
Gofor

Post by Porkcasso » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm

I guess I should have read the GIANT letters at the top of the page before posting my question................................
Sean
Porkcasso-The Art of Barbecue

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Porkcasso Hope to see you at this event . b3
Randy Sproule ~ Swamp Daddy's BBQ
Swampdaddy loves to cook with a Blonde

Sponsored by:
Niagara's Best Brewers Ltd ~ Great Charcoal ~ Traeger Grills ~Sherkston Shores ~ Tourism Niagara ~SUN COUNTRY Leisure Products ~ Goemans Lakeshore Meats Ltd.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 pm

:lol: Maybe the message should have had a flashing header to make it more obvious . . . :wink:

Originally, it was on our team shedule to attend the Amateur Event at Sherkston - had the date inked in on the calendar, and everything! Sadly, though, we obtained some 'inside information' recently, which prompted me to run for the white out to remove the notation on the calendar. We will not be attending the Sherkston event - with regrets to our sponsor Traeger Canada.

Good luck to all those going to Sherkston to do demos!
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Adrienne. I was deeply saddened when i got the news you could not attend this event . Did I sound sincere. LOL.Hope to see you soon b3

Sponsored by:
Niagara's Best Brewers Ltd ~ Great Charcoal ~ Traeger Grills ~Sherkston Shores ~ Tourism Niagara ~SUN COUNTRY Leisure Products ~ Goemans Lakeshore Meats Ltd.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 pm

:lol: Gee, thanks for the heartfelt . . . never mind, Mr Swamp

As I explained to you during our telecon earlier today, it is not a matter of 'could not', but rather a resounding 'will not'.

Still wish you all the best of success!

Oh, and make sure Mrs Swamp knows that I'll bend an elbow, and think of her from my site . . . wherever it may be . . . :wink:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Porkcasso. Contact Porky if you have any questions in reguards to this comp. he will be more than happy to look after you. Shawn is doing great job setting this event up, and it looks like a lot of fun . Thanx Shawn for all your work. b3

Sponsored by:

Porky
Chicken Choker

Post by Porky » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 pm

yes this event is an AMATEURevent,
I will have applications on my web site ASAP but not yet.
I will post here as soon as I get them up.
that's not my tan, it's bark.

www.brantfordbarbecue.com

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 am

Yes, well said, Mr Swamp. You are doing a great job setting this event up, Shawn. I have heard nothing but good things about all of the time you have given, as well as the dedication of your effort to get this amateur competition up and running. It should prove to be an excellent starting point for many new competitors in the area. Way to go!

Sorry we will not be part of your 'virgin' comp run :wink:
I'm sure exposure at your event would have helped to overbook Brantford's Best BBQ Caterers!

Hopefully we can lend a hand with your next one!

Keep up the good work in promoting BBQ in the area, Shawn.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 am

Porky, I'd like to try to make it to the May 23/24 event but, I have to admit, it's more than just a little intimidating for those of us with no competition experience whatsoever. Speaking of which, what constitutes an 'amateur' in the bbq curcuit anyway? No wins? No comp experience? Your site says it's a good opportunity for the backyard bbq'er to test their skills, but if they're competing against existing teams with wins and experience, like DivaQ, then that's not an amateur event in my books. I think there needs to be a clear definition of what an amateur is, or is not. Just reading that there will be a 2X national champion at the event makes me want to throw in the towel before I even think of entering. As much as I want to meet the people on the various teams and make some friends along the way, I want to have [at least] a fleeting chance at a call.
I have the entry form printed out and I have the week off prior to the event to help prepare, but I won't enter as a competitor until I understand the nature of the event a little more clearly. Thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into this.

Trev.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:01 am

Trev,
Amateur events usually only have one cooking category, (rib) , and maybe two,, as was the case with Paris last year.

I don't know the rules for this one , but at the "CBA" competitions, you were no longer eligible to compete as an amateur once you had won 1'st place in ribs, as an amateur.

Now,, having said that, ignore all of it. The amateurs have been turning in ribs that are totally on par with the pro teams. So if you can cook a decent rib , come on out and roll the dice. When you are there, troll around, and talk to the experienced competitors, and learn the finer points,, like plating (boxing) your food for turn in, to score higher.

Hope that helps.
MikeDoc

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am

Hey Mike
I think what Trev is asking here is if an Amateur is going to be competing against Pro teams, if I read that right. I think that since the CBA is no longer, a comp organizer can basically state whatever they want in the way of rules. I feel that the said event Organizers should be posting here the rules and agenda for this comp in the Niagara Region right away. If they wait much longer to do this I feel that it would be a mistake. Time just flies before ya know it and people are booking events, holidays, etc. already I would think. Just my .02 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE