Amateur event July 18- Niagara falls area

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3):5
Re: Amateur event July 18- Niagara falls area

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 am

Hippieforever99 wrote:Hey Mike
I think what Trev is asking here is if an Amateur is going to be competing against Pro teams, if I read that right.
Yes, that's what I'm asking, Hippie. If there's a $50 entry fee and there are rank beginners competing against professional caterers, chefs, and heavily sponsored teams, then that strikes me as an oddly unfair situation. Why would a beginner not, instead, invest that entry fee into the BBQ course being offered in Whitby, and elsewhere, and learn about competing from that? Obviously that's not the route everyone wants to take; it would seem like an amateur event would be a good starting point for a rookie, but it sounds like that may not be the case. I'm sure there are many, many situations in a real event that cannot be simulated in a classroom environment.
As far as any being sanctioned by the CBA, that doesn't seem to be realistic at this time considering their current circumstances. I'd join the CBA, but I don't know what I'd be signing up for, so I'll hold off until they get the ball rolling.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Hey Trev
I understand totally what you are saying. As far a I know and don't quote me on this please as it might be wrong :( But I believe that the comp is for Amateurs only to compete against one another, and that some pro teams will be there to give them some direction, advice, seminars etc. That is what I am led to believe. Hang tight for a few and see if the organizers of that event step up here to set your mind at rest, and to clarifiy it for all that are interested in doing this event. And keep your money in your pocket for now as the CBA is no longer :wink: . I think the teams and judges and interested parties here in Ontario would be far better off for the time being to just have an Ontario Association of some sort rather than worry about trying to get something together for all across Canada. Once something like that starts and gets all the bugs ironed out then it might be good to think of a bigger picture. Just like that ol saying "walk before you run". Just hang in there a little longer, and I am sure someone that has the right to answer all of your questions like the Comp Organizers will post the answers to your questions here. Have a good one. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Porky
Chicken Choker

Post by Porky » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Trev, rest assured, NO PRO teams are competing at either of these events.
Swamp Daddys BBQ, Big Sids BBQ, and Porky's BBQ, will be there to swap stories and help out the amateurs.
I consider an Amateur team to be any group, consisting of people who have never competed in a pro event. (not a legal definition so don't hang me out to dry).
All teams will be cooking one catagory, pork ribs.
The Idea of having pro teams there is exactly what you stated, cooking instruction, the pro teams are there for you to pick their brains and to help ease the entry to the pro circuit if any teams feel ready for one.
I am trying to structure these events similar to the CBA amateur event held in Paris, when pro teams were kind enough to stick around and help me out in my first competition.
At this point in time both Brantford and Sherkston are non sanctioned events, these events are for fun, come enjoy and meet like minded people.
We have been able to secure prizes for first second and third place winners, and I am working on more prizes still.
I hope I eased your mind a bit, Hippieforever, was a lot quicker posting than I was, and he got the jist of it, Thanks Hippie.
Last edited by Porky on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
that's not my tan, it's bark.

www.brantfordbarbecue.com

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply, Shawn. Much appreciated.

Trev.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Porky
Chicken Choker

Post by Porky » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Hippieforever99 wrote:Hey Mike
I think what Trev is asking here is if an Amateur is going to be competing against Pro teams, if I read that right. I think that since the CBA is no longer, a comp organizer can basically state whatever they want in the way of rules. I feel that the said event Organizers should be posting here the rules and agenda for this comp in the Niagara Region right away. If they wait much longer to do this I feel that it would be a mistake. Time just flies before ya know it and people are booking events, holidays, etc. already I would think. Just my .02 8) Hippie
Sorry hippie I didn't see this post from you,
I am just finishing the PDF files for exactly what you asked for, the rules schedules etc. This thing is snowballing fast, the prizes are amazing, the entertainment looks good.
When I get them done I will post the files here and on my web site.

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Trev Thank you for your questions. Since Swampdaddys BBQ is sponsored by both Sherkston Shores and Traeger Grills Canada I felt it was my responsibility and duty to attend the event at Sherkston on July 18 2009, and forgo a comp. elsewhere. It is our intent to do all we can to make this event an enjoyable and pleasant experience for both the amateur competitors and the general public. Shawn has done a great job setting up this event and I look forward to working with both Shawn and Sherkston Shores , This event proves to be a must do on the amateur list of comps. for 2009. Please fell free if you have any questions just ask. Randy aka Swampdaddy. b3
Randy Sproule ~ Swamp Daddy's BBQ
Swampdaddy loves to cook with a Blonde

Sponsored by:
Niagara's Best Brewers Ltd ~ Great Charcoal ~ Traeger Grills ~Sherkston Shores ~ Tourism Niagara ~SUN COUNTRY Leisure Products ~ Goemans Lakeshore Meats Ltd.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks, Randy.
swampdaddysbbq wrote: Shawn has done a great job setting up this event b3
+1.
It sounds like it's coming together nicely and Shawn is right on top of it.

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Trev. We have a lot of things planed for this event and I am sure you will enjoy yourself hope to see you at the comp. Sherkston Shores is a Great place for a comp. b3

Sponsored by:
Niagara's Best Brewers Ltd ~ Great Charcoal ~ Traeger Grills ~Sherkston Shores ~ Tourism Niagara ~SUN COUNTRY Leisure Products ~ Goemans Lakeshore Meats Ltd.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 am

This seems to be coming along swimmingly.

A bit confused, though, by the statement about Cedar Grilling, since Steve's team are THREE TIME NATIONAL BBQ CHAMPS, whereas no other teams holding National BBQ Champ status are mentioned in the thread.

Figure to give credit where it belongs and is due.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 am

Ya, Adrienne, that's my fault for bringing it up to begin with. I mis-read that information on someones website and then foolishly repeated my mistake here. No harm intended at all, just an honest brain-fart on my part.
It's a moot point anyway.
Randy, I'm really hoping I can make at least one of those comps, but maybe even both if I can talk my son into helping me form a team. He seems pretty sceptical because he's never heard of BBQ comps in Canada before. Finding a way to get all the stuff to and from the comp is another concern. We'll try to work it out.

Porky
Chicken Choker

Post by Porky » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Adrienne wrote:This seems to be coming along swimmingly.

A bit confused, though, by the statement about Cedar Grilling, since Steve's team are THREE TIME NATIONAL BBQ CHAMPS, whereas no other teams holding National BBQ Champ status are mentioned in the thread.

Figure to give credit where it belongs and is due.
Three times!!
my apologies, No teams were left out on purpose, and it was not my intent to diminish the achievments of any teams, past or present that have won the national championships.
I will (if I can still) edit my post.

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Trev . Anything I can do to help just ask. We would love to have you at both comps. You should not have to bring a lot of gear.for ether event as you only have to cook 2 racks but then again you do have to keep your beer cold. toofunny

Sponsored by:

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Randy, that's one of the kindest gestures I've seen in a long time. Thanks for that! I'll certainly be in touch while I'm making plans for all of this. I have a recipe forming in my head for 'special' ribs and I'm itching to test it out on the boys to see how it flies.
I usually use my kettle for ribs because it holds at 275 really well (I like that temp for spares) and also has the extra width (compared to wsm) I need for a full rack, or three. It's easy to cart around so I could likely make this work without too much fuss. Thanks again, it's really a nice thing for you to offer your help like that.
The beer is a critical issue, so I'll solve that one first.
beere

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Trev. NO PROBLEMMOOOO. Give me a call anytime Thanx & b3

Sponsored by: