Stumps Smokers

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

TheBigSmokeBBQ
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 5

Stumps Smokers

Post by TheBigSmokeBBQ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm

I have a guy who is willing to build me a stumps clone for cheap, at least cheaper then the Stumps cost. What do you think about stumps smokers, know anyone who uses em?
I bet you I'm smoking something right now!

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Re: Stumps Smokers

Post by Peter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:58 am

You might have a look at the Prairie BBQ site
http://www.phpbbserver.com/smokinjim/in ... =smokinjim

There is a solid following there for Stumpers and clones and a lot of good information.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

TheBigSmokeBBQ
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by TheBigSmokeBBQ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks Peter
I bet you I'm smoking something right now!

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 pm

I use a GF223, the older model before the recent changes. Mine was built in 2006 I believe.

What would you like to know?

They are an insulated cooker which utilize a gravity feed charcoal system. They have an integrated charcoal chute/firebox which relies on the restriction of air flow to operate. You would figure that a fire at the bottom of a stack of charcoal would burn up right away, it doesn't. As the fire burns the charcoal slides down the chute and refreshes itself, quite a neat operation. They are extremely efficient cookers, mine ran the Canadian Open last year cooking the brisket, butt and rib categories on one 8kg bag of Basques (I did leave it running Saturday night under 200°F to conserve fuel and fired it back up Sunday to cook ribs).

The main drawback is they are heavy! Mine weighs in at over 500lbs and is a beast to move around (at least the old style was before they started using dolly system they have now).

Here she was the morning after I brought her home, she was pretty grungy and it took me a while to get the cooking chamber back to bare metal.

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 am

If you don't mind me asking ,, what did you pay for it ?
Not that I'm in the immediate market for something like that (wife would kill me!!).
I'm curious what it might cost me.....hmmmmm

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I bought it during that short period when the Canadian dollar was higher than the American greenback. If I recall correctly the guy sold it for $1600. At the time Stump was announcing price hikes and the line was going through a remodel (to a style I didn't like) so I pick that one up. Other then being a bit grungy, it looked almost new.

I believe the Stumps 'Classic' is around the same size as the old GF223 (it's their second redesign to replace the model I didn't like) now goes for around $2900 US, but it comes with an electronic temperature controller. Unlike the first redesign, the new models can run perfectly fine without it.

http://www.stumpssmokers.com/

Brant County Smokers
Gofor

Post by Brant County Smokers » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Those smokers look awesome!
it looks like they do a very efficient job smoking
Doug Jr.
Brant County Smokers BBQ

Honor Thy BBQ gods...