BARRIE EVENT (BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo) CANCELLED :(

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Smokin` Hot Chick
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

BARRIE EVENT (BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo) CANCELLED :(

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Fri May 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Hello Everyone!

For those looking to participate in the 2009 Canadian Open BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo, held in Barrie, Ontario, thank you for your time. Your dedication and commitment to this unique event is greatly appreciated by all past and present event coordinators. It is with a heavy heart that I regret to inform you that Eventrix has made the extremely difficult decision to cancel the event. There have been a variety of circumstances leading to this decision; however we have been working to create new opportunities.

The year 2009 has been a challenging year for many, and as such we have been forced to make some challenging decisions around this event. The bottom line is the viability of executing this event successfully in a smaller market such as Barrie is diminished. The current financial climate has definitely played a role in our decision and so too has the challenges and issues we faced with the dissolution of the Canadian Barbecue Association (CBA).

After assisting with the coordination and execution of the Canadian Open BBQ Championships for the past four years, I sincerely apologize for the disappointment that some of you may feel. I am quite disappointed as well and wish that we were able to continue with this event at Centennial Park on Barrie’s lakefront.

For those individuals who have already submitted payment for your participation as either a professional BBQ team, an amateur BBQ team, a judge, a vendor or a sponsor, your original cheque will either be mailed back to you or a new cheque (from Eventrix Partnership Inc.) will be mailed to you for the amount you had originally submitted, unless you may be interested in our offer stated below.

New Opportunity!

As most of you know, Eventrix is a communications company that develops and executes consumer experiences and promotions. Eventrix coordinates a variety of projects, including Toronto’s Festival of Beer, over the course of the year. Respectfully, I feel that it is important that you read the material below which outlines our transition and launch plan for a similar event in Toronto – this Father’s Day weekend!

Beach Ribfest is scheduled to take place June 20th & 21st, Father’s Day weekend, this year at Woodbine Park. An incredible venue located in the “Beach” in the east end of Toronto, supported by the City of Toronto and buoyed by a large consumer base that is family friendly, affluent and familiar with the venue as a destination for a number of existing Festivals throughout the summer months – this event is sure to be well received and attend by the community!

This Festival will be a fun filled weekend for the entire family featuring some of the best ribbers and BBQ experts in Ontario, great recorded music, live bands, a fine selection of drinks from Jack Daniel’s, ice cold Sleeman Beer, an annual BBQ competition, and a charity BBQ cook off in support of the Toronto Fire Fighters.

Kick back and relax and enjoy some awesome BBQ (ribs, pulled pork sandwiches and more!) on the lawns of this exceptional venue(http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT13b29kY ... guODI4MTI1).

Were you a product or food vendor that was supposed to participate at the Canadian Open BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo and would like to take part in the Beach Ribfest? Please write back expressing your interest and I would be happy to supply you with an application form or amend your existing contract to secure your place at the Beach Ribfest.

The Park’s built-in live music pavilion will feature amazing live entertainment, along with some outstanding recorded music throughout the course of the weekend.

If you are looking to cool down after visiting all of the booths, be sure to visit the beer and beverage garden. Sip and savour the well-rounded product line up from Sleeman Brewing.

The Toronto Fire Fighters Association in partnership with Beach Ribfest will be hosting the 1st Annual Toronto Fire Fighter Command Cook Off on Saturday the 20th. Fire fighters from the North, South, East and West Commands will compete against each other for the best rib recipe and bragging rights. Sparky the Dog will accompany the fire fighters while they conduct their well known ‘boot drive’. All proceeds from this event will be donated to Camp Bucko, a camp for children burn victims.

Napoleon Gourmet Grills will be presenting the 5th Annual Father’s Day Cook Off hosted by Chef Ted Reader on Sunday the 21st. Five competitors, father-son and father-daughter teams, will be flown in from across Canada to compete in this unique competition. Teams will try to master their variation of a recipe created by Ted Reader, while foodie judges (chefs, food writers, etc.) will select the best dish.

With the cancellation of the Canadian Open BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo, we are doing what is necessary to fulfill the need for an additional BBQ competition in Ontario and Canada. The coordinators of Beach Ribfest are optimistic than we can facilitate a small scale (compared to the Barrie event) BBQ cook off at this year’s event and then work towards an expanded program for 2010.

Please allow us to introduce the 1st Annual Crazy Canuck BBQ Championships – we need your support and commitment along with the appropriate fulfillment to make this transition from Barrie/CBA into an independent and meaningful competition in Toronto this summer…

The 1st Annual Crazy Canuck BBQ Championships would consist of 10 professional BBQ teams (first come, first serve) who would compete in only the 4 main meat categories – ribs, chicken, pork and brisket – no side dishes required. Teams would vie for both cash and prizes, while the Grand Champion would go home with $2000.

Are you interested in participating as one of the 10 professional BBQ teams? Please take a moment to express your interest to me and I would be happy to send you the application form or amend your existing contract.

Lastly, if you were planning on judging at the Barrie event and would like to participate as a judge at the 1st Annual Crazy Canuck BBQ Championships instead, please be sure to let me know and we can amend your exisiting application form.

Thank you in advance for supporting and respecting our decision to cancel the Canadian Open BBQ Championships & Outdoor Expo and I hope to see some of you participating at the 1st Annual Crazy Canuck BBQ Championships.

Sincerely,

Caiti McLelland
Executive Director, Beach Ribfest
Home of the Crazy Canuck BBQ Championships!
Eventrix Partnership Inc. – Engineered Communication Strategies
Tel: 416-635-9889 ext 28
Fax: 416-635-7766
caiti@eventrix.ca