Start planning for 2010 BBQ season on the prairies

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Pigasus BBQ
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 5

Start planning for 2010 BBQ season on the prairies

Post by Pigasus BBQ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:37 pm

ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH!!!!
HOW GOOD ARE YOU!!!!
DO YOU DARE TAKE THE CHALLENGE!!!!

Well if you are then here is a great opportunity to prove it. The organizers of the following events want to know.
PILE OF BONES BBQ – Regina Saskatchewan
SMOKIN’ OF THE BULLS – Strathmore Alberta
BBQ ON THE BOW – Calgary Alberta

These 3 events have teamed together to see who the “cream of the crop” will be for 2010.
There is still some planning to take place but so far there is a minimum of $1500.00 dedicated to this event. We hope to up the ante before the 2010 season starts.
The winner of this prize will be determined from the accumulation of total points for all 3 events.
SO START PLANNING NOW ON ATTENDING AS SOME VENUES WILL HAVE A LIMITED SPACE ALLOTMENT FOR TEAMS.

Keep your eyes on the WCBBQA, PBA, and PNWBA for further announcements
Morley Hansen

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Re: Start planning for 2010 BBQ season on the prairies

Post by Hippieforever99 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey Morley
Glad to see the West is getting it together. Kinda like a grass roots movement out there eh. Good for you guys. I just had one question. In your post you stated that you have $1500.00 dedicated to the event so far. Is this a typo or was it to read $15,000.00 dedicated to the event? Just curious. Good luck to all that compete out there in 2010. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Hippie the West is not getting it together- they have it all together already. :D They are a terrific bunch of people who really put a lot of forethought into their future competitions.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 am

Diva...do you really know what you are saying? Until you have lived in the west you don't really know what they Truly think of people from Ontario. I have lived in Alberta for 4 years and Manitoba for 4 years. I know what hence I speak of. 8) Hippie

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 am

Actually I do know what I am talking about. I have family in BC, and Alberta and I have been with Traeger West and East for 3 years now. They ARE a terrific bunch of people. I dont think its right to slag any province as a whole. Thats like saying every single middle aged hippie in the world is a moron- we both know of at least one who is a real pleasant guy. :-)
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:45 pm

I know of a couple :wink: Also know of at least one idiot who lives in BC, a family of questionable tenure in Saskatchewan, we have family in BC, Saskatchewan and Alberta, several friends in those three province as well as in Manitoba . . . know some q'ers who reside west of Ontario who do not deserve to be given the time of day . . . then again, know some in Ontario who should be treated the same way . . .

I agree with you, Hippie . . . the entire attitude differs hugely once one moves away from the Great Lake region of this fine country :)
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Justin
Chicken Choker

Post by Justin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey guys,

East, west, it doesn't matter to me. You are all good in my mind :wink: !
Justin

www.smokeandbones.ca

"She could do things with her one GOOD arm that would make you forget about that thing on her neck" - Chris Farley

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Folks,, relax ,, it's all steryotypes.....

It's a common thing ,, (steryotype) , that the west feels that Ontario thinks we're the center of the universe ,, etc,, etc.

All you'd have to do is show up at one of those get togethers. ,,, and you'd find you'd receive the best hostpitality you'd ever had in your life.

Rise above it,, for god sakes.

My theory is that no matter where you are ,, if you put more than 3 people in a room,, there's a likelyhood that somewhere ,, there's a village with no idiot.

My humble thoughts.
MikeDoc.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Boy there seems to be alot of bosses in here. I think ya'll need to cool it a bit and let people have their own opinions instead of trying to push your opinions down peoples throats. Knowing some people in some areas of Canada is one thing. Living with people in some areas of Canada is another. There is good and bad all over the d*m country so move on. I guess some people like to stick their noses into something where it wasn't asked for, and look where it has gone to now. I simply was asking a question to Pigasus BBQ if it was a typo in his posting, and was just wanting some clarification on the money. So all others please butt out and the stage is now yours Pigasus. The question simply was this. Is it a minimum of $1500.00 dedicated to the comp at this time or $15,000.00 that is dedicated to this series you folks are putting on? End of story. Just looking for some clarification there please. I wish all of you in the West the very best in the direction that you are going with your BBQ comps. Start small and thinking big and build on a firm foundation. Thanks for the info Pigasus and look forward to hearing from you soon. 8) Hippie

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Hippie,
If you want to have a private conversation with someone, there's this new function on the forum called "PM"... so don't be telling people to "butt out"

And don't insult anyone here by trying to make it look like you weren't taking a dig ,, or stirring the pot....

"Diva...do you really know what you are saying? Until you have lived in the west you don't really know what they Truly think of people from Ontario"

Geezee Louuuu-eeeeze.

Respectfully ,
MikeDoc.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 pm

roflmao
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I really don't believe some people. I was not looking for a private conversation, but was only asking a person who posted, a question. And yes I do know about sending PM's thank you, so please don't you talk down to me. So take your own advice, get off your soap box, and don't lie by signing respectfully Mike, when you know you don't mean respect at all. As for stirring pots or taking digs Hmmmmm. While I was living in Alberta and Manitoba for a few years in each Province I met some really great people here and there in each province that were great. I also met quite a few people in these provinces that dislike Ontario and its people for its politics and attitude they figured the goverments and people have here for the West. There has been this feeling since the mid 1970's. This is not the first time that you have stuck your nose in a post that I have put on here. It seems you would rather have bad blood by your continued comments and continued opinions that you feel are over anyone elses. Interesting. I think it would be better in the future if you add me to your non friends list and that way you would not have to read my future posts, Thank You. You can access this feature by clicking on your Users Control Panel. I will close this topic for good by saying that first I was just asking a question to start with, when I feel a shot was taken across my bow. Second I know what I have heard and lived with while in the West for a total of 8 years. And third please don't bother to PM or email me as to me this topic is way over and I don't have a need to listen to what you have to say anymore. Thank You. 8) Hippie

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 am

You slam the entire west , everyone from Saskatoon to Vancouver,,, and you feel you have had some great wrong done to you .............

Good,, now you know how it feels.

Duncola
Pork Puller

Post by Duncola » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am

Hoping a "Mod" will shut down this post and remove it....

Duncan
Thank you to our Generous 2008 Sponsors!
Napoleon Gourmet Grills
P&F Gourmet Meats
Great Charcoal
Two Tree Products - California
Battlefield Equipment Rentals
"The Cat Rental Store"- Canada
Bradley Smokers - Canada
and looking forward to 2009!

Pigasus BBQ
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by Pigasus BBQ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:47 pm

b1 hope it wasn't something I said. But to answer your question there Hippie it is $1500 as of now and we are trying to grow it with some sponsor ship in thte next year. We are trying to get more interest churned up to make it worthwhile to compete in all 3 of these events in order to get out attendence up for competitors what with all the rules to be eligiable for the Jack etc. As it is now there is only a couple of teams that try to support all the events and we are starting to get tired. Time for some of the others to step to the plate. It has been a struggle promoting bbq events but they are slowly shaping up to be some good ones. this will be the first year that we have had 25+ teams for BBQ on the Bow which is fantastic. Now we have to plan for the future and find bigger facilities to hold the event. So if anyone out there knows of companies that are into bbq and want to spread there word in the west I am looking forward to hearing from them.
Morley Hansen