Fest or Compitition

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

SteeltownBBQer
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Fest or Compitition

Post by SteeltownBBQer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Can someone tell me if there a differance in a Rib fest like the one in Burlington last labour day weekend an a BBQ Compitition like this weekends in St Thomas? thank you.

Hippieforever99
Pit Master
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Fest or Compitition

Post by Hippieforever99 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:25 pm

All I will try to say here on this topic is "QUALITY". I could say alot more on the topic but we have moderators here that like to watch me. :wink: 8) Hippie

If you would like my opinon please email or PM me. Have a good one. b3

Hey the Ticats really kicked some butt on the weekend eh. YeeeHawww
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 am

A Ribfest is a marketing event where the real aim is to sell as many racks of ribs, pulled pork and bottles of sauce to the public over the course of a weekend. The product will be O.K. at best as the goal is volume, not quality. These events are presented under the guise of a competition.

A real BBQ competition is something completely different as the teams present 4 meats to the judges, Ribs, chicken, pork shoulder and brisket. They will painstakingly prepare and cook their meat paying attention to the smallest detail to ensure BBQ perfection has been placed inside their single 9 by 9 box for turn in.. At a BBQ comp, the judges do not know who the meat they are tasting and scoring is from unlike a ribfest where it is decided by peoples choice. You will not be able to buy BBQ at a competition unless there is a vender present.

Teams that compete at BBQ invest a great deal of money and time with little or no return. Some times they get lucky and break even on a competition or even make a few dollars if they are fortunate enough to get a couple calls or win the competition. For most of us, BBQ competitions are for the chance to earn some braggin rights, fellowship, competition and an excuse to cook up some really good BBQ.
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Excellent answer Roxy.
Ribfest was here in Oshawa this weekend, and credit where credit is due,,, they are ususally run by the Rotary club, and do raise funds for their organization,, which I imagine goes toward the local community. (I was out of town or else I would have went down with the family,, just to enjoy a nice day down by the lake).

Also ,, and I know I will be corrected pretty quickly if this is wrong,,, but the St. Thomas competition has arranged for sampling, from some, if not all of the teams. I know from the feed-back that I've heard,,, the biggest disappointment from the public at the competitions,, is that they can't get their hands of the product that they are smelling as they walk through.

In my humblest of opinions,, I think that's what's missing in the competitions,, is a way to really involve the public in what's going on.

MikeDoc,

impailer
Runner

Post by impailer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:49 pm

For those of you that missed it the 1st time around... Ottawa Ribfest Article thread:

forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2099&p=13170 ... ade#p13170
Fire Master
Diva Q Competitive BBQ Team
http://www.divaq.ca

Partnered with:
http://www.TraegerCanada.com - http://www.HoveysGourmetMeats.ca - http://www.BasquesCharcoal.com - http://www.bigrockbeer.com - Novelis (Alcan Foil Products)

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm

dogthebear wrote:Excellent answer Roxy.
Ribfest was here in Oshawa this weekend, and credit where credit is due,,, they are ususally run by the Rotary club, and do raise funds for their organization,, which I imagine goes toward the local community. (I was out of town or else I would have went down with the family,, just to enjoy a nice day down by the lake).

Also ,, and I know I will be corrected pretty quickly if this is wrong,,, but the St. Thomas competition has arranged for sampling, from some, if not all of the teams. I know from the feed-back that I've heard,,, the biggest disappointment from the public at the competitions,, is that they can't get their hands of the product that they are smelling as they walk through.

In my humblest of opinions,, I think that's what's missing in the competitions,, is a way to really involve the public in what's going on.

MikeDoc,
I agree with ya Doc.. It is a hard thing when folks come around to your site and are interested it trying your Q and you have to politely decline. I think they got it right with the St Thomas comp with the sampling... I am sure it took a lot of work with the local HD to be able to do this as that has been the main reason it was not possible in the past..

I was fortunate enough to be a member of Simcoe County Smokers back in 07 and we lucked out and got to go to the Jack. We applied to be able to hand out our left over food.. It was an exciting time and we had a huge line up with every turn in.. BBQ rock stars as it were. b2
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

Ohly Smokes
Gofor

Post by Ohly Smokes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi,
Even though we did not participate I thought the sampling at St. Thomas was a great idea and a big step for BBQ in Ontario. I think that will make the events even more popular.
Jeff