CSBBC 2009 RESULTS *OFFICIAL*

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

kevinv
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: CSBBC 2009 RESULTS *OFFICIAL*

Post by kevinv » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:19 am

congrats to all teams, and to everyone involved.

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Iamarealbigdog wrote:More instruction to the Judges and we will have to get some classes to local amateurs done before hand.
Mike: I'm not sure how to "read" that, but I personally thought that the instruction the we got was excellent. Harvey painstakingly answered our questions--much of them asked by me--and made every effort to make sure we understood what we were doing. Speaking for myself, it was very clear, the hard part was the evaluation of the food, which is subjective. That all said, I feel confident and would gladly judge another event.

Obviously, more instruction being offered would certainly be great, but from my end, you guys did an excellent job. Really.

Blair

"He who asks a question is a fool for a moment. He who does not, is a fool for a lifetime." Zen saying.
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 am

SmokeNVoodoo wrote:
Iamarealbigdog wrote:More instruction to the Judges and we will have to get some classes to local amateurs done before hand.
Mike: I'm not sure how to "read" that, but I personally thought that the instruction the we got was excellent. Harvey painstakingly answered our questions--much of them asked by me--and made every effort to make sure we understood what we were doing. Speaking for myself, it was very clear, the hard part was the evaluation of the food, which is subjective. That all said, I feel confident and would gladly judge another event.

Obviously, more instruction being offered would certainly be great, but from my end, you guys did an excellent job. Really.

Blair

"He who asks a question is a fool for a moment. He who does not, is a fool for a lifetime." Zen saying.

Thanks Blair, I hadn't noticed this post earlier.
Not sure how much more instruction I could have given the judges, other than sitting down and judging each entry myself ; )
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:31 am

I also thought you did a bang up job too Harv ... way to go!!!! b2
2 ECBs
Made in China horizontal offset
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24"
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"
Napolean 'Ted Reader' Series 605 gasser

Red meat is not bad for you ... fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

Iamarealbigdog
Runner

Post by Iamarealbigdog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am

Harv did a great job, no doubt, for the time we had, I think everything was fantastic.

Reviewing issues with some judges, there were vast differences in some scores. I have since been told that this is not abnormal with new judges, as a person becomes more experienced scores will tighten up quite a bit, it is just a matter of time.

I have a firm commitment that the judges should be a balance of experience, sponsor involvement, media and community involvement and not just BBQ tenure.

Several judges asked if there were classes available for next year and I think it is a great idea. There were also many people who approached us and asked how can they become a judge, again more ideas for next year

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Iamarealbigdog wrote:Reviewing issues with some judges, there were vast differences in some scores. I have since been told that this is not abnormal with new judges, as a person becomes more experienced scores will tighten up quite a bit, it is just a matter of time.
Thanks for the clarification. And, I agree 100%. Here's why:

In my very first taste, I was blown away with the offering. So, being new, I marked it high. After all, it was my first time as a judge. With that in mind, my next offering was MUCH better in texture, taste, and presentation. My FIRST thought? "What the hell do I do NOW?????"

By the end I had a pretty good grasp on a basic "benchmark" of what is good and what is not quite up to par.

I can honestly say that by the end I had a good grasp on being a judge. I truly and firmly believe--without a doubt--that my next foray as a judge will be more accurate.

Judging is indeed an "experience" thing. Just like being a wine connoisseur or a single malt whiskey connoisseur is.

I'm thankful for the opportunity and thankful to all of you who made this event happen.

Most sincerely,
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 pm

In my very first taste, I was blown away with the offering. So, being new, I marked it high. After all, it was my first time as a judge. With that in mind, my next offering was MUCH better in texture, taste, and presentation. My FIRST thought? "What the hell do I do NOW?????"
I have judged for over 5 years now, read lots of books on the subject, and traveled throughout the South for years eating in 30 plus great and some not so great BBQ joints. Judging I feel comes down to a few things to know first. For each category a judge should know what makes for a good and bad in each of those catagories. Always go for the three bite rule as a minimum, know what textures you should be looking for, and taste comes down to personal preference. Some like wet/dry, hot, not so much heat, etc. The reason for quoting the above is this. It was stated that their first offering was great and they gave a high score. ok. Then the next offering that was tasted was even better than the first and they wondered what do they mark now. I had a problem with doing the same thing years ago when I judged for the first time. Under no circumstances are any judges to judge one rib, brisket, chicken, pulled pork etc. against another offering in that catagory !!!! I know this is hard for some and you have to really think hard not to do it. You are suppose to judge each offering on its own merits when it comes to appearance, taste, texture etc. Not always that easy to do but that is how it should be done. Each on its own merits in relation to texture, appearance, taste, etc. Just my thoughts on the subject 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 am

I agree totally with Hippie, and one can only improve with experience.
Talking to some folks at the Oink this past weekend, the one notable thing is the best teams are always in or near the top 20 or in other words, the cream always rises to the top!
2 ECBs
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Just a point depending on where you are judging can differ in regards to the rules. Its really important as a judge to follow whatever rules are in place for each comp. When we compete in Douglas Georgia at the Best of the Best competition the judging is Comparison based. This is much different that the KCBS and the rules the CSBBC ran by. This was really news to us as we have been used to what Hippie describes above.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm

How many contests have you judged in order to form your opinion?
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by mikita21 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:59 pm

So....it has taken me a long time to digest what happened at the CSBBQ in St. Thomas. Some random thoughts. First, I am a Memphis-certified, and Memphis In May certified judge. As such, my experience has been in comparative judging rather than the KCBS style, but I have done a couple of those now as well.

Thoughts: you could tell the St. Thomas event was hurriedly pulled together, but with a bit of background to what has happened to barbecue contests in Eastern Canada, it was clear this has all the potential to be not only a winner, but perhaps the definitive Championship if organizers (and the community!!!!) care to make it so. The potential is simply enormous at that site.

I thought 19 teams (do I have that right?) was a more than credible showing for a first attempt, and found the submissions highly competitive and of high quality. The event was hurt, I think, by being paired with the Summer Slam next door, but I understand that was a one-off and won't be repeated. They seemed uninterested in the great cooking that was happening on their doorstep, nor did they seem interested in helping to promote the fact that the Championship was adjacent to their event.

Having said that, it will likely take more than just a BBQ championship to draw the crowds. Most seem to be paired with music of some kind so that people can come for the chow and stay for the entertainment and get a good bang for their buck.

I have been to too many contests where vending is NOT allowed. Bad move. Too many people ask themselves, "Why would I come all the way to a barbecue championship, if I cannot eat championship food?" So whatever happens next year, vending for the teams, or the organizing committee as a whole, is going to be an important consideration.

Harvey, you did a great job explaining to all the judging criteria. Still, I beleive a class for newcomers (or whomever) would be an asset. If I were on a team cooking championship barbecue, I might be concerned if the judging is being done by less than trained judges. The whole concept of sponsors, media, etc. just sort of waltzing into judging positions without some formal training seems unfair to the competing teams.......especially if you are able to draw sponsors and the community to put up the kinds of prizes that in turn draw the best (and the largest number) of teams to your championship. Is there an identifiable panel of trained judges in Canada? I have no idea. And again, I am Memphis-trained, not KCBS and there IS a difference in the judging, as most of you reading this probably already know.

I noted only one Media outlet (Rogers) at the event. There was a lot going on in London the same weekend, from a ball tournament to Western Fair, to ???? Mike, pick your weekend next summer very carefully. The media will be crucial to your success. The event needs to sound irresistible!!! I was happy to hear you talk on the Sunday about the number of people whose eyes had been opened to the possibilities of this event. This seems to be a championship that can wind up being as big as you choose to make it.

Finally, Congrats to Mike, Barb, Harvey, and a slew of people who should not be overlooked in getting the CSBBQ event together in London, on short notice, little sleep, promises unkept and everything else that gets in the way of success. You pulled off a contest I was happy to attend and judge in. I met some great people, had some great Q and that, it seems to me, just makes a day perfect whatever else happens.

And ya don't win friends with salad.
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:33 pm

To the above submission ... Amen!

Lots of good points made mikita21 ... thanks for sharing them.
2 ECBs
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Just to be clear, because I don't want to sound defensive nor do I want to start an argument... I believe that Hippieforever99 is actually underscoring my comment.

That WAS my first competition and that comment I made was meant to underscore the importance of a baseline. Maybe I'm a bit cocky, bit I fell that I've got it now... If I personally failed anyone, it would have been those first two competitors. Believe me, by the end of the day, I was gettin pretty good.

My posting was not meant to be divisive. I felt that Mike did a great job putting together what I thought was an awesome event. I thought Harvey did a great job instructing us on how to judge.

mikita21: it was a PLEASURE for my wife and I to meet and chat with you. Your observations are excellent and accurate.

It's easy to critique a first event. It's incredibly hard to put one on. I bow deeply to everyone that made this event happen.

What do you guys think of a BluesNQue event? I'm connected in the blues market...

May the St. Thomas event grow, explode and be a benchmark for other competitions!

Slainte!

Blair
"the kilted guy"
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo

Squeezy
Gofor

Post by Squeezy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 am

Well said Blair!
2 ECBs
ProQ Excel 20
WSM 18"

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:31 am

I think a blues nQue event would be great.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan