CSBBC 2009 RESULTS *OFFICIAL*

Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Que

Post by mikita21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:28 am

Blues 'n Cue would work immensely well. It seem a staple of many Southern US events, and in Canada we a) seem drawn to key elements of the American South experience, and b) have just a great contingent of blues bands to draw from (check out the Bearcats from Owen Sound....www.thebearcats.com). In fact why not come to Owen Sound on Oct 22nd, a Thursday evening, for a great blues concert, "Mr. Blues Review" Ah, but I digress.

My point earlier about music and cue, and this is really just for organizers to chew on, on their way to creating a bigger and better CSBBQ, is that structurally, you can physically configure your event so paying customers MUST travel through the competition area to get to the music. It's the best way to expose the uninitiated to the smoke!!!

I was in Murphysboro, Illinois last weekend judging in an MBN contest. They featured a fish fry Thursday night, and what they called the Grand Champion Buffet on Friday night with a street dance. It brought out thousands, in a town of about 9200 (next door to Carbondale, IL and Southern Illinois University, but still........) It was a key way of making money back to offset the costs of the competition, to offset some of the $17,000 in prize money, and so on.

There were far fewer people in the neighbourhood on Saturday during the actual competition itself. Other contests put the music and the 'cue side by side on a site, so that people can enjoy both, and it seems to iniate more folks to the wonders of the smoke.

At North Haverhill, New Hampshire, the people's choice is so successful, that no one goes home with left-over meat (and more money is raised in the process).

Blair, it was nice to meet you and your wife and have some chats, as with so many others, and Squeezy, hanging with you and Pat after it was all over was very relaxing indeed.

Now give me some input........help shine light on my Canadian BBQ ignorance. A simple question. There is, in Whistler BC the self-described Canadian Championship, and there is the Bow River event in Calgary but really, in highly populated southern Ontario, after all I've heard about ribfests (thumbs down, it seems), the failure this year of the Barrie event and so on...........my question becomes at the end of the season..........

if not CSBBQ, then what???
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is

Re: CSBBC 2009 RESULTS *OFFICIAL*

Post by mikita21 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 am

And why the hell does it say "beer wench" by my picture? I am, of course, fine with that, secure as I am in my own raging male heterosexuality, but still...............
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"

Hippieforever99
Pit Master
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Hippieforever99 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 am

WENCH BRING ME AN ALE !!!!!!! :lol: :wink: 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Iamarealbigdog
Runner

Post by Iamarealbigdog » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I have spoken to several people and we are progressing to putting together our own music venue, and it appears we are going with a few blues bands.

We are also moving to mid June after Paris...

I am also very receptive to your discussions and we will adjust issues accordingly.

BBQcure
Runner

Post by BBQcure » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Mike

all sounds good. If you could finalize the date at your earliest convenience it would be nice. We are looking forward to it. Anything we can do to help, just ask

Tim

Iamarealbigdog
Runner

Post by Iamarealbigdog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:49 pm

June 18, 19 - 20 is the almost final official maybe date

Have not heard if Toronto is going doing another event, do not really want to stomp on their date but this is when we can get a reasonable value for the bands as well as availability for the station.

We have a few back up dates, so we will see how this plays out....

Smokin` Hot Chick

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:41 am

Please note that YES Beach Ribfest will once again be happening in 2010 and for many years to come. Proudly supported by the City of Toronto and the Board of the Toronto Beaches community.

Our weekend will once again be FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND which is JUNE 18-20, 2010!

As part of this year's event we will be hosting the official CANADIAN OPEN BBQ CHAMPIONSHIPS.
For more information, please see the thread "2010 BBQ Competitions!" or "2010 Canadian Open BBQ CHampionships at Beach Ribfest" in the Competition section.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Caiti McLelland
Director, Beach Ribfest & The Canadian Open BBQ Championships
Eventrix Partnership Inc.
caiti@eventrix.ca

SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Post by SmokeNVoodoo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm

and it appears we are going with a few blues bands.
I have some connections, including the 3rd place Memphis /09 (out of 100) final band MonkeyJunk as well as others. No promises, naturally, as summer is the big festival time for most bands, but I'd be happy to place some calls.

Blair
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo