Newbie from Guelph, Ontario

Welcome, please introduce yourself. Tell us who you are, where from etc.This forum is to be used for "introductions" and "welcome" posts ONLY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

sugar and spice
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Newbie from Guelph, Ontario

Post by sugar and spice » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi...we're new to this site! So far looks amazing and looking forward to meeting/reading other with the passion for smoking that we have. We have been into smoking for just over a year and can't get enough!

Jim and Laurie

ProBBQ
Chicken Choker

Post by ProBBQ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi and welcome... great bunch of people on here :)

Ian
Ian

Stacked & Smokin Hot!
www.probbq.co.uk

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Hi Jim and Laurie! Welcome.

What do you cook on?

Enjoy your stay, and post lots of pictures of your accomplishments!

sugar and spice
Gofor

Post by sugar and spice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:37 am

Thanks for the welcome...ProBBQ I see that you are in Cornwall. I grew up in Wales (long story...born in Canada moved to Wales when I was small and came back in '89. Mum is english and dad is welsh)

Christopher we have a couple of bbqs, a lg green egg, a weber and an offset. Not too sure what the next one will be. Thinking of a smokey mountain possibly.

Smokin` Hot Chick
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:52 am

On behalf of the Canadian Barbecue Association... WELCOME to the forum!
Remember... have fun and post lots!

Perhaps your next BBQ should be a Napoleon!!!!! :wink:

~Caiti~

and

Canadian Barbecue Association
Barrie Competition Event Coordinator

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 pm

sugar and spice wrote:Thanks for the welcome...ProBBQ I see that you are in Cornwall. I grew up in Wales (long story...born in Canada moved to Wales when I was small and came back in '89. Mum is english and dad is welsh)

Christopher we have a couple of bbqs, a lg green egg, a weber and an offset. Not too sure what the next one will be. Thinking of a smokey mountain possibly.
You can't go wrong with a Smokey Mountain I have 3 of 'em! :D

The BBQ Effect scores really well with them in competitions as well.

They're super easy to use and require little attention once you have your temperature stabilized. Although, I'm sure your Egg does just fine. ;)

sugar and spice
Gofor

Post by sugar and spice » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 pm

We love the egg. We were in a competition in Rockwood the end of September, used the egg and placed first. It was my first taste of bbq competition (my husband's second) and I'm hooked :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your stumps that you picked up....do you like it? Jim and I have just been looking on line at them, now he is saying that he wants one of those as well :shock: . What do you feed them?

Thanks

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm

The Stumps is a gravity fed unit that uses lump charcoal or briquettes. It's a little tough to describe how it works. You kind of have to see it to understand how it functions. It uses a charcoal chute with a fire burning at the bottom of a stack of coal. It relies on restricting the airflow to the coals, as the fire burns it is fed by fresh coals from above the fire.... I know, it sounds weird....

Check out this video, it's shows a GF222CM in action (the 223 I have has an extra shelf).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8AjmNU9hg

sparx
Gofor

Welcome

Post by sparx » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:06 am

Welcome

Little Steven
Runner

Post by Little Steven » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 pm

sugar and spice,

Welcome...good to see another egger about.

Steve

sugar and spice
Gofor

Post by sugar and spice » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks Christopher for the site on utube. We are seriously considering a road trip to purchase a stump elite 8. How happy are you with your stump?

Any bad things that you have noticed?

Thanks

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:57 am

I've really only used the cooker twice now. I only picked it up last week. I have an older model that was discontinued a few months ago in favour of the new Elite Series.

My only complaints are with this particular cooker. The door only opens 90° and mine wants to swing shut on me leaving me with a greasy arm if someone doesn't hold the door or I slide a shelf out part way. The bottom of the cooking chamber has warped a bit because of the heat and the grease doesn't flow exactly to the middle of the cooker to drain (I've decided to use aluminum trays to catch any drippings).

Otherwise I picked it up because of it's benefits.

It's insulated so it should be great during the cold. It's large enough to cook multiple briskets, butts, ribs, chickens etc at the same time. It's built like a tank. It holds temperatures to within a few degrees for hours on end. It maintains a moist cooking environment due to the restricted air circulation. I liked that it didn't come with the BBQ Guru Pit minder by default.

Since mine was built Stump has made some modifications to the Elite series:

Better heat diffuser, insulated removable chute (my right inside wall gets hot because of the charcoal chute so the cooker is a bit warmer right to left), the new ones have dedicated grease drains like the Traeger system. The door latches are better and the door opens 180°.

I'd suggest placing an order for one soon if you're really interested, Stump is raising the prices on the Elite series November 1st. The Elite 8 now sells for $3395.

http://www.stumpssmokers.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=4155

http://www.shopstumpssmokers.com/category-s/168.htm

Personally I think they're one of the better cookers out there, they are getting expensive though. You can pick up Diamond Plate Products or Lang trailers for less money, and you get a lot of cooking space there... They are uninsulated offsets though, and are whole other animals altogether....

I hope this helps a little.