Hello from Owen Sound, ON (MIM-certified)

Welcome, please introduce yourself. Tell us who you are, where from etc.This forum is to be used for "introductions" and "welcome" posts ONLY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Hello from Owen Sound, ON (MIM-certified)

Post by mikita21 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Hello from Owen Sound, Ontario!

When I was invited by a cousin in Memphis, TN to the World Championship at Memphis in May, and learned you can't get the stuff the competitors cook, I thought "Why would I drive all the way to Memphis if I can't eat the Q?" Then I realized there was a way to get the very best stuff the competitors cook up: become a judge.

I am now a MIM-certified judge, and working this year on my MBN certification. I have judged twice in the World Championship at Memphis in May, including a finals (Patio Porkers) this year.

And by the way, this year's MIM was so much better run than last year's!! I saw a critical note from someone on this site about last year's debacle; well, this year, they fixed most of it, and did well despite gallons of rain!

I am just returned from Washington D.C.'s 17th Annual National Capitol Barbecue Battle on Pennsylvania Avenue with 50 teams, where I judged KCBS on Saturday, and was a finals judge on Sunday (the MIM contest). I have also judged the Whole Hog Barbecue and Music Festival at North Haverhill, New Hampshire (an MBN-sanctioned event, the only one north of the Mason-Dixon line as far as I can tell) and will be doing that one again in August of this year.

I am retired; was going to judge in the Canadian Open last year, but suddenly had an attack of Memphis-inspired purity and did not follow through. I will have to give some thought to becoming KCBS qualified, after a crash course and a full judging experience this weekend in Washington. I do like the Memphis-style contest (all pork, with on-side + blind) very much.

And by the way, just for the record, I am not a cook - yet. My motto for now is simply "I'll be the judge of that!"

mikita21
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"

drunken monkey
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Hello from Owen Sound, ON (MIM-certified)

Post by drunken monkey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Welcome to BBQTalk.

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 pm

welcome to the fourms

Hippieforever99
Pit Master

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 am

Welcome to the site Mikita. Looking forward to reading some of your future posts here. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:31 am

Welcome, I grew up near Owen Sound and worked there up until not too long ago.
I think being MIM certified will certainly give you a good edge for preparing great Q.
Looking forward to your posts, mikita21.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.