Blue cheese mashed potatoes

Vegetables, salads, slaws, beans, chili, soups, breads

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Blue cheese mashed potatoes

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 am

This is an easy one and I've never tasted anything like it. My wife's a star at putting stuff like this together, spur of the moment, in an effort to use up left-over's.

-Your favourite mashed potato recipe for 4.
-About 1/2 cup roughly grated blue cheese stirred in to melt at serving time, leaving some larger pieces.
fantastic!
-(optional is 2T horseradish for additional bite)
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Charcoal
Gofor

Re: Blue cheese mashed potatoes

Post by Charcoal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Sounds good Trev, I'll be trying it next time I make mashed potatoes.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:35 pm

I hope you like it, charcoal. It's going to be a company's-coming dish around our place from now on.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 pm

I've made it by simply adding some blue cheese dressing. I find you get the flavour and extra creaminess without turning the potatoes grey. It's also a little cheaper than buying a piece of blue cheese. :)

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Christopher wrote:I've made it by simply adding some blue cheese dressing. I find you get the flavour and extra creaminess without turning the potatoes grey. It's also a little cheaper than buying a piece of blue cheese. :)
My wife already uses cream when she mashes them, so they're creamy enough already, but I've never seen them turn grey from blue cheese, that doesn't sound good.
I like the taste of real blue cheese without all the additives and additional fat from dressing, I also like it to be creamy and chunky at the same time. Can't get that with salad dressing.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:40 am

Trev wrote:
I like the taste of real blue cheese without all the additives and additional fat from dressing, I also like it to be creamy and chunky at the same time. Can't get that with salad dressing.
that actually sounded a little bitc*y on my part, sorry Christopher, it wasn't meant that way. We've made taters with dressing and it's good, this was just an experiment to use up leftovers and we thought it was better than the dressing route. Hope that explains it a little better.

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 pm

No worries Trev, I was just throwing it out there. I've used danish blue crumble that was pretty blue, it turned the taters a touch grey. I add a little milk, butter and some dressing and we're off (with ingredients we usually have on hand).

Renee's blue cheese dressing is killer.